Author Topic: UCE pricing announcement  (Read 55239 times)

prof_stack

Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 11:02:28 pm
...  Yes that is the G-5 Deluxe, and I think we will have a Military by the end of 2009
Is the G-5 essentially the same as the UCE model that you brought to the campground that some of our forum members rode? 

Also, is the G-5 essentially an Electra with the UCE motor?

Thanks,
Prof

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 01:21:32 am
I really fancy the UCE Classic, but am I alone in thinking the price is a bit too rich for a middleweight single, produced in a third world economy?  The much stronger US Dollar doesn't seem to have been reflected in the price to me.  I would have thought around 5 grand would have been about right, but i expect I'll be proven totally wrong.
  6 and a half-ish?  I would like one, but it's too rich for me.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 02:16:09 am
I really fancy the UCE Classic, but am I alone in thinking the price is a bit too rich for a middleweight single, produced in a third world economy?  The much stronger US Dollar doesn't seem to have been reflected in the price to me.  I would have thought around 5 grand would have been about right, but i expect I'll be proven totally wrong.
  6 and a half-ish?  I would like one, but it's too rich for me.

The current bike is about 5 grand.  Seems to me it's not that much more money for an all new (and more modern) bike.  If the reliability and performance are as stated, it seems totally worth it to me.  It's only a $600 markup from the current lean-burn bike to the G5 Classic with the new motor and disc brake.  Another $400 gets you to the completely new C5 classic.  Do you have an Enfield now?  If so, how much did you pay for it?

Eamon
Eamon

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 02:22:30 am
From what others paid last year , and the new technology you are getting next year, that sounds about right to me.
Some of your better dealers may be able to get more with prep, customer service, and add on 's,
I wish they were $1000  each ,so I could buy 2 or 3 more. ;)
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 02:28:34 am
From what others paid last year , and the new technology you are getting next year, that sounds about right to me.
Some of your better dealers may be able to get more with prep, customer service, and add on 's,
I wish they were $1000  each ,so I could buy 2 or 3 more. ;)

REpozer, I like the way you think, man!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 03:28:39 pm
Just read an interesting post over at the Hitchcock's forum.

It was posted by a member there, that the new UCE has UK roots too, and was designed by Stuart McGuigan of Cranfield University. The same designer of the 5-speed gearbox in the Bullets.
So the new UCE Bullet is still "UK designed and Indian built".
Fitting for the heritage.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: December 06, 2008, 09:03:42 pm
Ace, yes, this is very interesting and, as you pointed out, the RE Anglo-Indian connection is alive and well.
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #22 on: December 07, 2008, 02:46:43 am
The G-5 is similar to the bike I brought to the campground. It is quite a bit more refined than the bike you rode. That bike was put together with parts from this and that and has been ridden for quite a while in Europe for testing. For example the foot pegs on the test bike we not placed properly at all.
  Stuart McGuigan from the UK was in fact the original designer of the engine. A lot of work was also done by Ricardo (sp? and "Engines Engineering" in Bologna as well as by a retired Honda engine designer. I saw the first prototype running at the factory several years ago and it has had a ton of development since. At that time it was a concept only.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: December 07, 2008, 03:29:15 am
Kevin,

It looks like the G-5 will have a kickstart and the C-5 will not.  I like the righthand case and the valve covers on the C-5 but I like the kickstart on the G-5. 
Can You talk to Royal Enfield about putting the C-5 righthand case and valve covers on the G-5 bikes but with a kickstart.  The C-5 case looks like it has a place for a kickstart shaft to exit.  Also put a kickstart on the C-5 model.  This would be the changes I would like to see for the US market.  What do you think?   
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 09:45:02 pm by Bill Harris »

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #24 on: December 07, 2008, 03:41:25 am
Bill,
I am afraid that the bikea are what they are. I am not totally sure myself that the G-5 will come with a Kick start when all is said and done.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: December 07, 2008, 10:54:32 pm
A couple of questions on custom kits (alliteration is fun): I know it's a long shot, but will the current set of kits (continental, cafe, trials) be usable with the new Bullets, or will the body be too different?  And, assuming that the first question gets answered in the negative, will new custom kits be available, or will Bulleteers just have to buy a brand new bike in the style they want?

Guess I'm just concerned about the lack of tinker-ability of these UCE Bullets.
There's something that doesn't make sense... let's go and poke it with a stick.

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 12:06:36 am
Bullet Bill,

UK offer two custom models.  The Trials and the Clubman.  I would think that the kits and or the components will be available here in the US, but if not, I think one could obtain them from Britain.   
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 12:14:17 am by Bill Harris »

Monty

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 01:37:31 am
Hello all you Royal Enfield owners.  I have been looking at purchasing a Royal Enfield for some time, I was first drawn to them because of there looks.  How much different will these new bikes be from the "traditional" bikes. 

prof_stack

Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 03:48:26 am
Hello all you Royal Enfield owners.  I have been looking at purchasing a Royal Enfield for some time, I was first drawn to them because of there looks.  How much different will these new bikes be from the "traditional" bikes. 
Although I'm not yet an RE owner, I think that what constitutes "traditional" all depends on where you start and stop the tradition. 

I admire the kick-start fanatics with their passion for the old ways.  But I'm a great fan of fuel injection.  It's greener, cleaner, and adaptable to different conditions.  Disc brakes up front are a no-brainer.

For me, the C-5 and G-5 both look great and I don't give a wit if they don't have a kick-starter.  If putting a kick-starter on the UCE means having SPRAG problem potential, then NO THANKS.  (My SR500 was kick-start only and there were a few intersections that I sure could have used an electric start.   >:()

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 05:32:47 am
I've got to disagree with you there.  To each his own, but for my money the kick start is part of what makes an Enfield a classic bike, and keeps it from being just another "tribute bike."  That, the metal fenders, and the classic proportions differentiate the Bullet from what I figure is its closest competition, the Triumph Bonneville 900 series.

Of course, it's pointless for me to argue since, in spite of totalmotorcycle.com calling the G-5 a UK model, it appears those (apparently kick started) models will be available in the U.S.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 05:37:30 am by Bullet Bill »
There's something that doesn't make sense... let's go and poke it with a stick.