Author Topic: Valve chatter  (Read 7523 times)

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
on: December 04, 2008, 07:31:48 pm
Valves were getting noisy so I adjusted them. To my surprise, they weren't too loose, but a bit on the tight side. Didn't make sense to me, but I adjusted them anyway. Haven't taken it for a long ride yet so I don't know if there is any change or not. Anyone have any thoughts on why tight vales would make a racket?

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 08:06:36 pm
     My wife says I get pretty noisy when I'm tight.
     Anything that changes the harmonics of an engine can changes the noises that you hear. Check your oil level. If it is old, change it. Old or new oil or different oil or different viscosity can also change what you hear.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 09:29:56 pm
When I adjusted my valves I got the ex valve slightly on the tight side. When I fired up the engine ,after about 3-5 minutes , the valve(s) had a loud tick. Shut her off.

So I pulled the fuel tank off and adjusted the valve more precisely though the rocker covers, then the noise became more quiet.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 01:59:22 am
my teeth chatter when I'm cold

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 03:04:35 am
Old technology,-- tappets were made to tap and it is normal.

The noise you hear may be slap from the rocker arm slapping across its shaft. they all do it.

This is why the Japs cried ---ENOUGH We can do better that this, and of course they could and did.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 03:14:40 am
hydraulic valves , i liked the solid feel

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 11:43:39 am
my teeth chatter when I'm cold
Of course more Fix-O-Dent might help. :D

staib

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 12:43:17 pm
Is that a performance additive?   ;D    It's just as well I have learned to expect the unexpected on these threads  :)
"Vixen" 500cc Royal Enfield Electra Classic
"Blondie" Piaggio X9 500cc maxi-scooter
"Zoomer" 50cc Honda Ruckus

Previous rides include: H-D Sportster, BMW R65 and K100, various Hondas and a Ducati

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 12:51:29 pm
I used to think that my tappets were always too noisy so I was forever checking them.  Rarely had to adjust them, though, and when I did it didn't make much difference to the sound.  

Then I stopped worrying and learned to live with it!  (Besides, other people only seem to hear the thump).

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 01:32:02 pm
Also remember that the AVL is an all-alloy top end, and it "rings" with the vibrations more than the older engine with the iron barrel did.
When the iron barrel engine gets modified with an alloy barrel, it gets louder valve noise too.
It's part of what happens with the alloy and the fins working as a sound transmission system, and makes the things sound louder.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 02:07:13 pm
Reminds me of a time I was waiting at a llong light on my '48 Chief.  A guy in a car pulls up next to me, gazes a bit, and says, "Sounds like the valves in one of your cylinders are clattering- ?"
Yeah- it needs a little adjustment;  they should both sound like that!
Run what ya brung

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 03:03:42 pm
Staib, just a little personal experience with performance additives.  :D

Valve noise reduction:
You can't get rid of it through adjustment. No news there.
What I have done to reduce the rattling around, most noticeably with a low fuel level, is;

1. emptied the tank. Applied an rubber under coating from a spay can bought at Napa. Four coats cut the noise in half. I didn't want to go through that process again because it took a day for each coat to dry.(riding time year round in my area don't you see).

2. The second part was to epoxy a strip of acoustic tile on top of the rubber under coating. I use JB Weld as it is a high temp epoxy. I put the epoxy over the entire surface of the acoustic tile. I wouldn't do it that way again. I would user a bread of the epoxy around the perimeter and some in the middle. It's not totally quiet but probably reduced by 75%.

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 04:22:41 pm
bread? that gives me an idea .just stuff a whole loave between the head and tank.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 03:19:17 pm
Just thought I toss my 2 cents in the ring! :D
My scoot sounded like the valves were out, sooooooo, at the 500 mile service I checked them,perrrfect!
Fired up, hmmmmm, still there.
Turned out my primary drive chain was loose.
On the other side of the engine, it kinda sounds like a valve rattle!
Or? Maybe it was just my 2 metal knees rattling!
Scare Crow, what he saying?
Oil can! Oil can! ;D
Joe
I ride, therefore I am! ;)

Kiwichick

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 06:15:58 am
There is a bit of clatter in my girl.  I read here somewhere it sounds like "a skeleton on a tin roof" which is a perfect description!

My clatter kicks in at specific rev bands - so on the flat, I hear it start at about 100kph, but gone by 105 kph for example.

Does that sound like valves to you all?

(I hadn't really noticed it too much, but I just rode around Rajasthan on a classic, and when I got back home to my girl I was struck by how much noisier she is...)

Biddy