Author Topic: Enfield Article  (Read 4041 times)

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
on: December 02, 2008, 10:52:11 pm
Since the Enfield doesn't get much press in the US thought you all might want to know there is an article on the Bullet Classic ES with the AVL engine in the January 09 issue of Rider Magazine.
BigDon
REA #73
08 RE Classic, the last of the Iron Barrel Bikes.(FireBall!)
05 Suzuki DRZ 400, for haulin' xxx in the woods!
09 BMW R1200GSA for a change of pace!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SlooDon#p/u

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 03:22:44 am
I wonder if Rider rides a broken in bike.  First test I read, they didn't like it much, same as I did  when it was new.  After it was broken in, well thats a diff story.   I don't see the ads for Bullets anymore in Rider........great mag by the way.........dg

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 01:44:27 pm
I wondered that also, I believe they stated it had 14 miles on it when picked up and they don't say how many miles they rode it.

Maybe Kevin needs to properly break in an RE and offer it to several mags?

Or have you already done that Kevin?
BigDon
REA #73
08 RE Classic, the last of the Iron Barrel Bikes.(FireBall!)
05 Suzuki DRZ 400, for haulin' xxx in the woods!
09 BMW R1200GSA for a change of pace!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SlooDon#p/u

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 09:38:59 pm

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 09:40:37 pm
How is it you can put the pic of your bike on your address.....as you can see, I tried but it came out in body of message..........I'm stumped.....dg

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 10:02:28 pm
How is it you can put the pic of your bike on your address.....as you can see, I tried but it came out in body of message..........I'm stumped.....dg

1. At the top of the page click on  Profile

2. On the left side of the screen under Modify Profile click on Forum Profile Information

3. Click on I will upload my own and browse to your picture.

Also of note is that on this page you can add a snappy signature much like mine.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 05:49:08 am
Every time I give a bike to a magazine I say "I am never going to do that again", in spite of all sorts of promises and representations they always end up comparing it to a Harley Fat-Boy, a Ninja or some other ridiculous other non-competitor.
  We do give them to magazines from time to time. We just brought Cycle World to India to do some testing and it went well by the way. In that case we picekd bikes right off the assembly line.
  Advertising is an odd thing. I have spent no money, a bit of money, a lot of money and always with the same result. It doenn't seem to matter and the best ad of all is the cheapest (Walnecks). To give yoiu an idea a ful page in Rider is at least $5,000, Cycle World $15,000 and up. Two years ago we went all out including all of the Cycle World Shows, this past year we did much less - results= an increase in sales this year   - go figure.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 12:09:54 pm
I made a effort and purchased the january 09 rider mag....actually thought the article titled 'Riding Around" was pretty positive regarding our time machines...The back page "Retrospective" re. the BSA 500 cc B33 was well done and reminded me alot of the iron enfield 500 cc bullett...Rider seem to give the enfield a fair shake and reminds the reader that its a different kind of machine that needs a bit of care....They did mention that the new UCE is coming soon for those that want a similiar feel with less maintenance and  a bit more speed....
Oh Magoo you done it again

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 05:43:02 am
  The best advertisement for RE i have seen is actually a segment from Motorweek that is available on YouTube. Very positive. I watch it and it makes me want to buy one and I already own! I think we should send everyone we know a link.

Roy_d

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 04:08:36 pm
Every time I give a bike to a magazine I say "I am never going to do that again", in spite of all sorts of promises and representations they always end up comparing it to a Harley Fat-Boy, a Ninja or some other ridiculous other non-competitor. [ . . . ]

This raises a question for me, since after reading motorcycleclassics.com 's articles on an '05 Bullet Deluxe loaned to them by Royal Enfield, I am convinced I purchased that very bike from the dealer who was reselling it for RE once it was returned. (The dealer, who is a great guy, by the way, did give me an explanation of the bike's history, but not specifically.)  At first I thought it was cool to read a review of the exact bike I owned, but then I got to wondering about break in and general care of the bike performed by it's "temporary" caretakers.  I read the part about how they got it to go 80 MPH with mixed emotions . . .

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 02:43:53 am
"The best advertisement for RE i have seen is actually a segment from Motorweek that is available on YouTube. Very positive. I watch it and it makes me want to buy one and I already own! I think we should send everyone we know a link."  jonapplegate 

Ditto!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 12:04:11 am
I was at the NYC motorcycle show with Chuck D the other week and spent a little time at the RE booth. My dealer was there, along with I believe Rhett (?). Anyway, I overheard some people talking among themselves about RE's and answered some questions and even dispelled a couple myths about reliability.

Later on, while in line for the bathroom, a woman walked out (I didn't notice at first, because that's normal here in swingin' NY) and the guy in front of me turned around with a bewildered look on his face. He then asked me if I had found my next purchase, and my honest answer was that the show made me feel even better about the bike I already have. When he asked what it was, and I told him, he kept telling me what a piece of junk it was and how the drum brakes wouldn't stop it. I was like, "Buddy, I'm telling you the bike is totally reliable and the brakes are fine." He just wouldn't hear it.

I didn't even ask what he rides because at that point I just didn't care. Made sure to put at least a couple of urinals' distance between us.

I think RE's best advertisements are word of mouth from owners and -- let's not forget -- the bikes themselves.

Jeff

deejay

Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 01:12:24 am
he kept telling me what a piece of junk it was

Compared to what? Modern bikes? You just can't compare the two. Put my bike up against any other 1955 motorcycle and you have a contest. I would NEVER disrespect someones motorcycle and try to make them feel bad. Sounds like the dude deserves a good roughing up.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 03:22:41 am
I think RE is making an inroad to the bike community.
I thinks it is taking some sales away from  Ural , H-D, and Triumph.
They can't compete with a good $ 5-6000 machine.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

charte

• Bulleteer
  • Whether you think you can or can't, you're right.
Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 03:35:36 am

I'm not a marketing pro, so I don't know what the right marketing moves are.  But what the guy in the line in NYC doesn't get is that there is a whole aesthic and vibe around RE, and comparisons to other bikes just don't make sense, and never will. 

I think it's the equivalent of knowing a foreign culture............you need to go experience it to really understand it, otherwise you have no way to evaluate it, and certainly no right to judge.

Every friend I have that has seen and ridden my Bullets have either pined for one, or bought one! 
1969 Bullet
2007 Triumph Rocket III Classic
2017 Moto Guzzi VII Special