Author Topic: Drip Problem (nothing personal)  (Read 1573 times)

Elk Grove Don

• Scooter
on: November 29, 2008, 05:53:28 pm
Seems that I'm unable to stop the "Drip" from the fuel petcock.  It's annoying and drips always get larger and never go away.  Is there an aftermarket one that I can purchase that still has the reserve?  Don't tell me to use penicillin, I can sence some of you are already smiling.
Don 

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 06:15:48 pm
     If it is dripping from the lever area then a new replacement should fix the problem. Where the petcock screws on to the tank is a gasket or o-ring that sometimes fails. Replace either with a new o-ring to fix a leak from there.

Elk Grove Don

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 06:35:55 pm
It's kind of a cheesy plastic bowl, and the leak is there where the bowl screws to the valve body, I'd really like to get a brass one with the reserve, there is a high flow one in the parts catalogue but with no reserve. With out removing it I can't tell if it's a pipe thread or straight into the tank, you say it has an O-ring or gasket so that leaves me to believe its a straight metric thread, I don't think the NAPA guys will have a replacement.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 06:52:07 pm
     Check with CMW. I have always been able to fix this leak with a new petcock and o-ring. CMW has the parts.

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 11:14:10 am
I had B A D petcock problems.

Before you go doing drastic things like spending cash, why not take a little time to see if you can restore normal service to the existing one?

After you've drained the fuel, remember that there will be a cupfull left in the tank that will come out when you remove the petcock. Have a bowl and cloth ready.

This cupful will also have all of the crud from the bottom of the tank in it.

Be careful when you disassemble the petcock itself. There is a retained spring that likes to make a bid for freedom, given half a chance!

Clean everything out and smear gaskets with petroleum jelly (vaseline) before reassembly.

It will only take a grain of dirt to cause the drip.
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL