Author Topic: Hi- Octane Gas  (Read 4541 times)

SpringMan

• Neophyte
on: August 28, 2007, 12:36:53 pm
My Dealer tells me that if I use Hi-Test, I won't have to de-carbonize.  Is that true?  Is there any other benefits or issues using 92 and above gas?

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 03:30:52 pm
If you run rich, you will have to decoke the engine, no matter what you run it on.  If you run too lean, you will damage something, no matter what you run it on.  Get a good balance, and you will not run soot.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

SpringMan

• Neophyte
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 12:15:59 pm
If you run rich, you will have to decoke the engine, no matter what you run it on.  If you run too lean, you will damage something, no matter what you run it on.  Get a good balance, and you will not run soot.

See, this was my thinking, up until this statement was made to me....I thought I was missing something?

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 02:28:31 pm
A long time ago, I realized something.  Salesmen, and dealers do not need brains, they work really well without them.  If I believed everything a dealer had told me, I would be in real trouble - they don't know, so they make it up. 
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 12:14:53 am
Even on the 6.5:1 compression, which will run on almost anything, I still use 93 octane gas. The bike runs better and gets better mileage........Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!