Author Topic: UCE final drive/ UCE pricing  (Read 4414 times)

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
on: November 27, 2008, 07:26:57 pm
 The new UCE has a right side final drive which is something unique to the Bullet line. Did the engineers design it this way to free up enough room to use an O-ring chain? If the bike is designed to be more maintenance friendly then this would be a welcomed upgrade. Also to chime in on pricing mentioned lately. The pricing does seem a little high, especially on a new unproven design. Everybody seems to pit the UCE against the Bonnie without having any data to back up anything. Obviously this will come down to preference and performance. The UCE will have to prove itself as a reliable daily freeway speed commuter bike. Also, will the styling be exactly what we have seen? Will the finishes be exact? I sure hope so! If the UCE is not finished to exactly what I've seen I will surely be disappointed. The polishing on the bike sets it apart from the older Bullets; HANDS DOWN! We all know the cost of buying aftermarket polished parts for the Bullet or doing all the polishing yourself. This is something to think about in the price increase of the UCE. If the UCE price point comes in at about $6000 - $6500 and is finished exactly the way it's being presented and performs as claimed, CMW will not have enough bikes for the demand!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 12:08:10 am by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 07:38:26 pm
I suspect the final drive was moved to the right because of reasons of how the transmission was incorporated into the unit design. It appears from the photos that there's more room in there for the chain than the old Bullet had. Remember, when the old Bullet was designed, there were no "o-ring" chains!

Regarding the comparisons to the new Bonneville, I've noticed that happening too, and I've even mentioned it myself.
Here's what I think,
I think the old Bullet has enough power to do whatever I want to do, but I didn't realize it until I actually got on one and rode it. The specs are misleading, because they make you think that the Bullet is slow, when it is quite adequate for most purposes that a 500cc motorcycle would be asked to do.

Regarding looks, IMO there is no comparison whatever.
I went to the Atlanta Motorcycle Expo a couple of years ago, and was intent on seeing the new Bonnie, and also the Bullet.
When you compare them side-by-side, the Bullet totally obliterates the Bonnie in appearance. Not even close. The Bullet looks like a jewel, and the Bonnie looks like a rhinestone.
Sorry, but i calls 'em as I see 'em, and the Bullet and new Bonnie were miles apart in visual appeal. The Bullet looked like it should be the more expensive bike.
My desire for a new Bonnie evaporated instantly, at that moment.

If the new UCE Bullet looks even more improved, or even equally as good as the old Bullet, then it's no contest.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 08:19:02 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 08:09:00 pm
You are both right. The drive was moved to the right for a couple of reasons. Since it is a Unit Motor with a self contained transmission there was no need to keep it on the right. As has been pointed out the UCE models will all have a nice o-ring chain. This is a welcome addition. Actually chain and clutch adjustment are the only adjustments to do on the new bike. It has a automatically adjusted primary chain, hydraulic valve lifters and EFI which have all eliminated maintenance.
  Another good reason to move it is to put the rear braking mechanism in a direct line with the pedal. This provides better rear braking.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 09:44:48 pm
 Kevin, that's some great info. I think the UCE forum needs to concentrate more on improvements we haven't read about to help us formulate opinions. Of course all these improvements reflect on the price of the bike. Something else we should factor in is maintenance cost comparisons of the UCE to the iron head or AVL. There could potentially be plenty of savings in that area. You should also give your time spent on repairs and maintenance a dollar or hourly figure to help calculate or justify the higher cost of purchasing a USE.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 10:36:31 pm
I, for one, think a higher initial cost is a fair trade-off for less maintenance.  Can't expect a product-improved model to cost the same as an older machine.  If this thing had Harley-Davidson's name slapped on it, people wouldn't be complaining about the price, they'd just be adding extended forks, apes & sissy bars to it.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 10:50:53 pm
Ace, I echo your opinions: "Sorry, but i calls 'em as I see 'em, and the Bullet and new Bonnie were miles apart in visual appeal. The Bullet looked like it should be the more expensive bike.  My desire for a new Bonnie evaporated instantly, at that moment."

The fact of the matter is that I recently sold my 2005 Bonnie and kept Perla, my 2005 Sixty-5.

P.S.  Let me know the next time you come down to the ATL.  I'd like to meet you and have you over for a Cuban dinner.  My wife's cooking cannot be beat, man!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 11:06:05 pm
Papa Juan,
I will definitely contact you on my next trip to Atlanta.
I would be honored to meet you and your family, and to taste some of that wonderful cooking of your wife's!

Thanks!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 11:08:39 pm
Amen, Ace!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla