Author Topic: Where to find pics of Bullets with 7" headlights  (Read 5599 times)

stw

• Scooter
on: November 26, 2008, 03:45:45 am
Been going through the members' rides in the photos section but haven't seen any 7" headlights yet.  I know some of you have installed the 7" kit so where are your photos. 

Guess I could look through vintage photos from the 40s (50s?)  to find 7" headlights. ;)
1995 RE Bullet 4speed

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 05:08:45 am
Been going through the members' rides in the photos section but haven't seen any 7" headlights yet.  I know some of you have installed the 7" kit so where are your photos. 

Guess I could look through vintage photos from the 40s (50s?)  to find 7" headlights. ;)

Always glad to show off my 2004 Bullet Sixty-5:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=58
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=60
and here is a before and after:

2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 11:33:29 am

Leonard,
Is that version of the 7" light adjustable? If not does it seem to be adjusted so as to not shine in oncoming traffic's eyes?

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 04:29:55 pm

Leonard,
Is that version of the 7" light adjustable? If not does it seem to be adjusted so as to not shine in oncoming traffic's eyes?

I don't believe there is an adjustable version of the 7" headlight.  Mine seems to be aimed perfectly, though, so I assume the guys who designed the casquette originally knew what they were doing!  I suppose it might vary depending on the rider's weight (I'm about 155-160) but I pretty sure that both high and low beams land in about the same spots they did with my stock 5 1/2" light.  Here's a picture of mine:

Eamon
Eamon

Snobrd

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 04:31:53 pm
I have the 7" Tri Bar Halogen Light.  It is NOT adjustable.  That is the reason it is not DOT approved...... But it looks fantastic!  I commute on my bike and since the end of Daylight savings have done  quite a bitof night riding.  The light is fine in it's fixed position.  The low beam is definitely not a problem for oncoming traffic and is quite bright just about where you want it. Just don't over ride it. The high beam is quite a way out there.  It is fine on the really dark back roads when you need it.  It would be problematic for oncoming traffic but you aren't going to subject oncoming traffic to highbeams anyway.  Once again, it looks great!  You'll love it.

"Cynicism is an unpleasant way of telling the truth."  Lillian Hellman

2002 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
2007 RE Bullet Classic
Deep River, CT

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 07:31:57 pm
My seven inch headlight pointed dead horizontal - i.e. too high to hit the road on dipped or main beam.

I noticed that the two side screws (placed at twenty past eight, as it where) were holding the bottom of the inner chrome rim slightly away from the casquette. I made the screw holes in the inner rim a bit more oval and it now sits square. This dropped the beam slightly.

I have also inserted a stepped spacer made from thin scrap plastic between the two chromed rims so that the top of the outer one is pushed out a couple of mm from the inner one (the top screw clamp still holds properly).

This has pushed the beam down a little more.

The problem is that the gains were slight and it still seems high, though I need to have another good run in the dark to assess it properly.

An outer rim that was much deeper than standard at the top and a bit deeper at the bottom would align the beam properly and give more rear clearance for the bulb's connector block. If only somebody would stamp some out and sell 'em cheap.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 06:50:10 am by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 10:41:44 pm
My seven inch headlight pointed dead horizontal - i.e. too high to hit the road on dipped or main beam.

I noticed that the two side screws (placed at twenty to six, as it where) were holding the bottom of the inner chrome rim slightly away from the casquette. I made the screw holes in the inner rim a bit more oval and it now sits square. This dropped the beam slightly.

I have also inserted a stepped spacer made from thin scrap plastic between the two chromed rims so that the top of the outer one is pushed out a couple of mm from the inner one (the top screw clamp still holds properly).

This has pushed the beam down a little more.

The problem is that the gains were slight and it still seems high, though I need to have another good run in the dark to assess it properly.

An outer rim that was much deeper than standard at the top and a bit deeper at the bottom would align the beam properly and give more rear clearance for the bulb's connector block. If only somebody would stamp some out and sell 'em cheap.

Or, adjust the rear shocks up a few notches.
I use an automotive halogen sealed beam and they have always been close enough that there was no adjusting required. Maybe a new bulb would cure your problem.

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 10:47:02 pm
Leonard,

No it isn't.  On the off chance that I might have to ride at night I checked the stock light before I changed and the 7" hits the exact same spot on my garage door. 
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 01:20:31 pm
I have the 7" Tri Bar Halogen Light.  It is NOT adjustable.  That is the reason it is not DOT approved...... But it looks fantastic!  I commute on my bike and since the end of Daylight savings have done  quite a bitof night riding.  The light is fine in it's fixed position.  The low beam is definitely not a problem for oncoming traffic and is quite bright just about where you want it. Just don't over ride it. The high beam is quite a way out there.  It is fine on the really dark back roads when you need it.  It would be problematic for oncoming traffic but you aren't going to subject oncoming traffic to highbeams anyway.  Once again, it looks great!  You'll love it.

I've got the Tri-Bar and is the reason I asked because my Tri-Bar's low beam points up so much I know it has to be slamming into oncoming traffic's eyes. The high is useless. The two rims set flush against the casquette.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 01:37:59 pm

I've got the Tri-Bar and is the reason I asked because my Tri-Bar's low beam points up so much I know it has to be slamming into oncoming traffic's eyes. The high is useless. The two rims set flush against the casquette.

Phil,
I never installed the Tri-Bar, but if it installs with the spring clips like the normal 7" headlight does, it seems that the glass body could be shimmed back a little on the bottom when you install it with the clips. That should help to bring the aiming point down some.
A little movement at the light can make a pretty big change at 50yds distance.

Just making a suggestion to try to help.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 02:08:29 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 05:02:17 pm
Shimming back the bottom of the headlamp glass will be my next move, though depending on the particular headlamp bowl people have installed, this might cause some clearance problems with the bulb connector being pushed into the speedo cable. Bit crowded in that casquette.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 10:25:37 pm
Ace & Chasfield
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to try it. When I bought the bike I had it installed by the dealer. I really hope the dealer messed it up because he's my best friend and I'd loooove to have one on him.  8)

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 01:41:17 am
my tri bar is like Leonards.. spot on with no adjustment.. I did make the mistake of walking out my elevated garage and looking back at the light.. :o  had a dark spot in the center of my forehead for awhile ::)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 10:26:33 am
And gave you a "cat" in the head light look?  ;D