Author Topic: A question about the engine.  (Read 6520 times)

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
on: August 28, 2007, 05:00:04 pm
It's been in a couple of threads but maybe overlooked by those who can answer it. Is there a liner in the jug on the Electra or is the cylinder aluminum where the rings run?

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 07:29:11 pm
There is an Iron liner in the electra Jug. It's plenty thick, but differes from the classic engine in that it does not have the "Spigot" that portrudes into the head. The head fits on a flat surface of the jug and is located by two lugs in the jug.
jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

Cyclepath

• age is just a number
  • Scooter
  • SW Washington state
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 04:13:52 am
thanks for the info hrab.....  :)

cyclepath
2004 v-strom dl100
1993 goldwing aspy
1980 goldwing, nekid
1994 virago 535
1994 yamaha tw200
2003 yamaha tw200
1973 bultaco 250 alpina
1968 suzuki ts 90
1967 honda ct 90
1978 honda express 50cc
and a bunch of other crap

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 02:36:49 am
Hey Justin, when are you going to stop riding the fence and buy you an Enfield.......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 02:48:31 am
I just got cut off by a guy pulling an unanounced left turn & sticking my Guzzi into the side of his or her pickup, I dunno which, because whoever it was drove off while I took a nap in a ditch. I aint buying a bike for a while. Gonna fix the pickup & backhoe. I will ride my Suzuki 650 single.
OHH, wasnt a left turn across me fromiin front of me, we were going the same direction, he smashed the brakes & swung the wheel, just as I was finishing a pass on the car behind him. I was pulling in between the truck & car when I saw the gap was going away & I was caught out in the oncoming lane with a locked brake & a target drawn on the side of the truck in front of the rear wheel. Thats where I hit. KNocked me out on contact. Thank goodness I was wearing a full coverage helmet, cuz my face went into the back of the cab corner. HJC Modular saved my face.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 02:51:31 am by justin_o_guy »

prof_stack

Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 05:24:24 am
Justin, good thing for full-face helmet!  Now you watch out for bruises and soreness creeping up in the next few days and/or weeks. 

How did your gear hold up?

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 09:26:28 am
I was wearing chaps, scuffed them a bit, still useable. Helmet stood up well, but I have ordered a new one.I was wearing an almost new khaki welders shirt. It abraded thru a bit at the cuff on the righ sleeve, but I didnt get rash at all. My clothes getting crammed against me & shifted hard by the ground & impacts caused some chaffing & scabbing, but no actual road rash from abrasions thru the clothes. Only had the welding shirt over a tee shirts up top. I can see where the real riding gear would have been better, but I woulda been a wreck if I had just been wearing the tee shirt or regular soft long sleeve. The shirt has black marks like I landed in the spinning wheels of the bike. Not sure, need to talk to the witness, as soon as I get an accident report. I am on the mend, sore spots ar getting better. Still hurts to swallow, not real sure why.

prof_stack

Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 02:28:19 pm
Justin, you did well but probably should let a doc check you over.  Bruises can show up a few days after the impact.

After 2 months since I t-boned a car (his fault, my pain) my neck developed soreness and "discomfort" that is not improving very much.  Being over 50 years makes the healing a slow go.  So you ought to error on the side of caution.

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 04:25:46 pm
I went to hospital. MRI's & stuff. I checked out okay. Thanks for the advice, It IS the right advice & I shoulda gone sooner. I waited 9 or 10 hours to go. Kept my poor wife up late. Was there quite a while. They gave me some morphine a few times so I didnt mind the wait near as much as she did. They kinda had to give me that stuff, cuz the MRI showed old broken areas in my neck, so they stuck a brace on me real tight & layed me down, neck cramped & I was freaking, then they stuck me in an ambulance & the nurse shot me up good with morphine for that ride. My wife had to drive from town to town & then bring me home. Dang good thing I wasnt found at fault in the crash. She would be even more unhappy with me.
I am still hurting, but I m healing. Thanks for the give a hoot.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 09:06:54 pm
JOG:

Glad to hear you're gonna make it!

Hope you do a full recovery. Take it easy for awhile and get better!

:)

Matt

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 12:59:01 am
I just got cut off by a guy pulling an unanounced left turn & sticking my Guzzi into the side of his or her pickup, I dunno which, because whoever it was drove off while I took a nap in a ditch. I aint buying a bike for a while. Gonna fix the pickup & backhoe. I will ride my Suzuki 650 single.
OHH, wasnt a left turn across me fromiin front of me, we were going the same direction, he smashed the brakes & swung the wheel, just as I was finishing a pass on the car behind him. I was pulling in between the truck & car when I saw the gap was going away & I was caught out in the oncoming lane with a locked brake & a target drawn on the side of the truck in front of the rear wheel. Thats where I hit. KNocked me out on contact. Thank goodness I was wearing a full coverage helmet, cuz my face went into the back of the cab corner. HJC Modular saved my face.
Man, sorry to hear about your accident, hope you will be ok. Glad you were wearing a full face helmet. Those 650 Suzukis are really sweet motorbikes so it wont be a chore to ride it while the Guzzi is being fixed. Good luck buddy.......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 02:27:17 am
It always scares me to hear about this stuff. I've been down numerous times over my 40+ years of riding, but thankfully never been hurt too bad. Good luck man, hope you feel better.

Guess it just goes to show, the biggest & baddest bike in the world can be swatted like a fly by the wimpiest car.

Always ride like you're invisible.

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 06:10:04 am
Thanks all,, the Guzzi has a bent frame & is totalled. I only have one permanent injury. My right shin has a dent in the bone where the leg was crushed between truck & bike for a sec. Ill have to go sit on the bike & see what lines up with it. No biggeee, I have another one a few inches above it where 2 pieces of drill pipe crushed it when I was about 22. It really doesnt hurt much & the Doc looked at a few of the bruises today & told me they  look older than they are. Said I am healing pretty quick.
My little Guzzi was a small block, Nevada 750. Sure gonna misss that thing, I was out with the family today & went past a few places I like to ride.. Sighing audibly, unintentionally, my daughter really ujderstands I am actually mourning the loss. It really was a great ride.

Brother Rhett

• Bulleteer
  • I chase shiny objects across the internet.
Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 08:22:22 pm
 :o Holy cow.

I was just reading over your story now. What an experience! Sorry for the loss of your bike... but you're very fortunate to come out of it as well as you did! I'm really glad to hear that you're on the mend and that you have the good humor to describe your lingering injuries so casually.
What wouldn't you not do if you didn't know you wouldn't fail?

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 03:19:11 pm
Thanks for that. I have to be upbeat about the whole thing. I had NO idea what I was gonna feel. I have never had anything like that just ripped away from me. The closest thing I can equate it to is when someone robbed my house & ripped me off for everything they could haul off. Somehow, this seems to be hitting deeper. I dint really Love anythong they stole, but the guy driving that truck STOLE something I dearly loved. Yea, I am getting some $$$ for it, but cant afford to replace it. So, the wounds will heal, but the ripped off feeling, well, that's just gonna take time. Maybe I can get the bike I really want & put the whole thing behind me. Having a place to vent realy helps, too.