Author Topic: More Trouble...  (Read 3382 times)

Tassos

• Scooter
on: November 25, 2008, 10:31:36 am
Hello everyone, I bought my Bullet electra in August, and all I can say is that I am in love with it.  ;D And the truth is that my electra has been through alot. I use it every day to go to work, visit my parents etc. so usually I ride for minimun an hour a day.

Unfortunately yesterday when while I was waiting in traffic lights, the engine stopped and when I pressed the el.ingition button I heard a sound coming from the engine like putting pieces of metal through a blender....ouch! I managed to start the Enfield by kickstart. That got me home and this morning I left it for service....(is this going to cost?)

Hopefully it won't be much trouble.

Many people told me that for such heavy use I should have bought a japanese machine, but I wouldn't change my Electra for anything else...

Another minor problem I have is when riding at night I have to constantly adjust the little bolt that controls how fast the engine works, otherwise the engine will stop because the headlight is on...

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 01:28:00 pm
EEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK! >:(
Sound like yet another Sprag saga in the making!
If'n the bike is hone, remove the stater and reach in and spin the gear that is exposed, both ways. If'n it turns free, yep! The sprag.
Now, was it ccccoooollllddd out? what oil is in the primary? How much?
How long was the bike running before it went Ka-Put?
I'm trying to put together a list, to see what the common link is that's causing this to go wrong.
Keep us posted.
Don't you feel like a junkie who can't get a fix, when your bike is down????? :P
Good thing I have a few others to get my "fix" on! ;D
Joe :)
It's not a bike! It's an adventure! ;)

Tassos

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 02:48:47 pm
I bought it in august 2nd hand, the previous owner had it for a year... Yesterday I drove for 2-3 miles, stopped for  5 mins and then when i got back on it happened in the first few minutes....

I just called the mechanic who said that he fixed it, the el.ingnition was busted....

I asked what was wrong.. and he said that I probably pressed the ignition while giving power... (I don't remember doing that!)
he said that I owe him 380 euros (that's 540 USD) which I believe is an outrageous amount of money .....

Please advice!!!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 02:55:10 pm
I bought it in august 2nd hand, the previous owner had it for a year... Yesterday I drove for 2-3 miles, stopped for  5 mins and then when i got back on it happened in the first few minutes....

I just called the mechanic who said that he fixed it, the el.ingnition was busted....

I asked what was wrong.. and he said that I probably pressed the ignition while giving power... (I don't remember doing that!)
he said that I owe him 380 euros (that's 540 USD) which I believe is an outrageous amount of money .....

Please advice!!!

The best advise is to pay the man his money, get your motorcycle back, and learn to become your own mechanic, just like the rest of us.
If you depend on a professional mechanic, you'll be paying professional prices.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 03:08:27 pm
What did he replace? Do?
A bike shop here in Pa. can get up to $75 per hour to work on your scoot.
Pay the man, get the bill and please let us know what he did/replaced.
Again good advice, get a manual, some tools and a clean place to work and be your own mechanic. There is always a thrill of fixing your own scoot, (I still get it after 45 years of doing all my own work)!! ;D
Joe
it's not a bike, it's an adventure! ;)

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 04:39:06 pm
Tassos,

The starter solonoid which activates the starter motor is operated by the starter button.

The earth for the starter solonoid comes from the neutral switch (which also lights the neutral light) or from the clutch switch when the clutch is pulled in. At all other times it can not be operated.

With regards to adjustment of the throttle stop screw, it sounds as if you really need to adjust the idler jet screw. Having the headlight on shouldn't make any difference.

Get a handbook and make a start on doing small things yourself. The more you do , the more you'll learn.

Our hosts can help you out with a manual.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 04:40:51 pm by Tiny Tim »
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 05:01:09 pm
fixed it, the el.ingnition was busted....

Wow, I love my kick starter.

My ES stopped working after about a month and I brought it to the dealer to be repaired under warranty after about a month without.  He fixed it (bad solenoid). I picked up the bike and hopped on, it started first kick with the  dealer was standing next to me and he says "Oh, come on man , I just fixed it, at least your can humor me." So I shut the machine off and started it back up with the ES giving him a smile,  that is the last time I have used it.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 06:25:28 pm
Tassos,
Assuming that your bike is under warranty there should be NO charge for the repair. Also since it is an Electra make sure your dealer installs a new ignition unit. This is part of the repair and will cost you nothing. When a dealer files a warranty claim we send them the parts they need. In the case of AVL engines we send the new ignition unit as a matter or course. Because things can happen and mistakes can be made, do yourself a big favor and double check with the dealer. The new ignition unit was developed by the UK importer and helps prevent spurious sparks and kickback. So far it has been very effective in service.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 06:14:23 am
You pressed the ignition while giving power? what the hell does that mean?  If he means you pressed the starter while the engine was running so what , that wont do any damage.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

skippy

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 06:41:44 am
I bought my electra new last August and the electric start went kaput after 7 weeks, I will get it sorted before the warranty runs out but to be honest now that I have mastered it I enjoy kick starting her into life, although there were some embarrassing moments to begin with ( Tiny Tim remember this years Cider run aka Guzziboy I still cringe now!  :'(
2008 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Electra,
1992 Moto Guzzi California 3,
1982 Moto Guzzi Imola,
2004 Jaguar x type,

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 01:33:30 pm
( Tiny Tim remember this years Cider run aka Guzziboy I still cringe now!  :'(

And I thought you were just taking your regular morning exercise
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

skippy

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 01:53:58 pm
Certainly gets the blood running on a bitterly cold morning!
2008 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Electra,
1992 Moto Guzzi California 3,
1982 Moto Guzzi Imola,
2004 Jaguar x type,