Author Topic: dumb and need educating  (Read 5344 times)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 10:27:06 pm
I have enough faith that I took my kick lever off. 
Run what ya brung

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 04:15:41 am
Although I own a Classic, I think I may have a word of advice. I hardly ever use the E-start. One time I decided to start the bike using the Electric instead of my foot. I destroyed the sprag. I wonder if it isn't a good idea to use your starter on a somewhat regular basis to keep it lubed/ functioning?  On trucks with 4 wheel drive it is recommended to engage the 4 wheel drive occasionally so that the hubs and transfer case don't get too dry. I think this advice would also apply here.
  I realize that the Electras  have more problems with the electric start because of something funky with the electrics.
 If you have your sprag replaced you should contact Vince at Vince's Motorcycles and ask what they do to prep new sprags. They do a little bit of modifying there and believe it really increases the longevity.     

jayprashanth

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 03:07:21 am
Kevin,

I did enquire about the new TCI unit for the LB500 while booking it, at the company owned Royal Enfield Brand Store, here in Bangalore.

The manager told me that all new LB500s sold in India also come with the new TCI unit. However, I will shoot off an email to Royal Enfield today and seek confirmation from the factory itself. Will keep you posted about the happenings.

Also, Is there any visual means of identifying the new TCI unit for a newbie like me, one who hasn't seen the older unit?

Thanks.

jayprashanth

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 02:34:49 pm
Kevin,

Today, I sent an email to the factory asking them about whether the new TCI unit has been fitted on the LB500 domestic model as well.  In about six hours, I got a call from the factory by one Mr Raj who confirmed that all domestic models, 350 and 500 AVLs, are factory fitted with the new TCI unit. Also, he told me about the delay circuit, that was previously an add-on, being integrated into the new TCI. I am extremely pleased at the excellent and personalized customer service rendered by the folks at the RE factory. In this day and age of very business-like emails, a warm voice at the other end felt very good.  :)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 04:11:44 pm
My question would be, what year, or month of a year were they integrated into the AVL?