Author Topic: well, I did it...  (Read 5661 times)

Sam

• Uralist & now, Bulleteer!
  • Bulleteer
on: August 28, 2007, 03:36:08 am
2004 Sixty 5, 3800 miles, with the vintage kit accompanying it in a box. I've been lusting after this for years, it'll make a nice complement to the Ural (why are there so many Ural/Bullet people?). I think the Sportster's days are numbered.
<Insert cryptic saying by obscure author here>

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 04:13:07 am
Great - You are going to love the Enfield - I love mine, and it just hurt me.. :)  Royal Enfields and Urals go together.   Post a few pictures, before and after you install the vintage kit. 

I agree that the Sportster is on it's last legs  - they are pricing themselves out of the market - what used to be a good bike for little money is turning into a complex bike, not too reliable, for too much money.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 12:24:33 pm
Congratulation Sam!

Royal Enfields and Urals go together.   

Unless you had to sell your Urals to get your Enfield! (Oh well, one of them was cursed anyway.)

Matt

deejay

Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 01:54:08 pm
Congrats Sam! Post pics!

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 04:14:28 pm
"I agree that the Sportster is on it's last legs  - they are pricing themselves out of the market - what used to be a good bike for little money is turning into a complex bike, not too reliable, for too much money."

What really bothers me about sporties is that every couple years, they get heavier. When the 883 first came out, it was fairly small and light bike. Now it is heavier than many larger metric cruisers. They must be filling the  frame tubes with lead, because I can't see where the lard is being stored.

Sam

• Uralist & now, Bulleteer!
  • Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 04:57:58 pm
Well, some of the weight is in the new rubber mountings, that adds a bit of tonnage. And of course from 2008 on they're all EFI; no more carbs. They are not simple machines any more.

By the way, I was actually referring to my Sportster, not to Sporties in general; the new rubber mounts are still less porky than, say, a Dyna. My '02 is likely going on the block, since over the past year and a half it's accumulated less than 1000 miles, while the Ural has gone everywhere.
<Insert cryptic saying by obscure author here>

Charro

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 05:57:33 pm
Congrats Sam, good choice. Lets Ride.

Andy
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Speed Triple
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up
"Tell me what kind of horse you want to ride. I'll tell you what kind of rider you are." (Old Mexican proverb)

hoppyre

• Scooter
  • 06 Bullet Sixty-5. 09 Suzuki Tu250x
Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 11:38:29 pm
Well, some of the weight is in the new rubber mountings, that adds a bit of tonnage. And of course from 2008 on they're all EFI; no more carbs. They are not simple machines any more.

By the way, I was actually referring to my Sportster, not to Sporties in general; the new rubber mounts are still less porky than, say, a Dyna. My '02 is likely going on the block, since over the past year and a half it's accumulated less than 1000 miles, while the Ural has gone everywhere.

My 06 883R is the in the same boat as yours. I've had it about 18 months, has 1300 mi. on it. I'm too busy riding my Bullet 65!!!!. Also, mine is up for sale too.

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 11:55:44 pm
Happy New Bullet, Sam.  Wishing you lots of pure fun!

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.