Author Topic: Setting timing-'08 Classic AVL  (Read 2055 times)

rick505

• Bulleteer
on: November 22, 2008, 03:40:56 pm
I've been trying to use the Kick Start after reading various threads of broken Sprags but with only 80 miles on the new girl it's been hit or miss.  I've read through various threads and the FAQ but with the temp falling the last two attempts I've resorted to the ES.  One thing I noticed is while trying to KS is a slight kick back.  It may not be a real kick back in the conventional sense (almost broke my leg type) but reading various postings it appears there should be none if properly timed, until I get a manual, can someone give me instructions on how to retard the timing a tick so I can test??

Thanks,

Rick

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 04:57:39 pm
     The AVL has fixed electronic timing. If it is out of time you have a defective CDI unit. There is no mechanical adjustment you can make. There is an updated CDI unit available. See your dealer about this.
     The kick back you are experiencing may be due to your technique. People often get kick backs due to a hesitant technique fostered by a fear of kick backs. It really doesn't take much force to kick through, but you must be firm and steady and kick all the way through down to the stop.
     Another issue with kick starting is the tendency to twist on too much throttle while kicking. You have to learn to separate your wrist from your leg. It is easy to yank the throttle unknowingly while kicking.
     Practice and it will come to you.

rick505

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 08:11:56 pm
Thank you.  Good to know.  I was hesitant to call it a kick back but since I had been somewhat lucky kicking it earlier, once the temp dropped I've not been so lucky.   Even the ES takes a couple seconds to get her to fire up.

Thanks,

Rick

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 08:19:00 pm
  The main problem at colder temps is that gasoline doesn't atomize as easily.  You may have to crack the throttle a couple of times to get enough fuel in the intake to make kick starting easier.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 09:43:53 pm
Also, don't forget the choke and the decompressor.
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 10:07:09 am
Points that may help:

1. The kickstart, if operated to it's maximum deflection disengages and can not kick back. Take courage and kick all the way through the travel each time you go for a start.
2. Any amount of throttle canl make a small kick back into a leg breaker. You must learn to feel the engine fire and catch it with a tickle of the throtle
3. The choke on the AVL does not "choke" the carb of air. It richens the mixture by increasing the amount of fuel in the ratio. Remember to use it when it is cold.
4. The decompressor is not a decompressor as in the classic engine but a valve lifter. About  as much use in starting as an ashtray would be on the handlebars.

A tried and tested method for cold kickstarting:

a. ignition off,  clutch in, neutral selected, kick over twice.
b. release clutch and kick over twice (no fear of a kick back- ignition is off). Give a SMALL amount of throttle  while kicking to suck some juice into the engine.
c. gently kick through to get to the compression stroke, then just ease past it.
d. Choke as required for ambient temperature.
e. Ignition on
f. One full Kick rtight through the travel of the kickstarter. When your foot hits the end of the travel you may need to blip the throttle to cach the engine.

If that doesn't work, repeat step c. followed by e.

Works for me.
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL