Author Topic: Winterizing - Heated Garage  (Read 4568 times)

uspickle

• Scooter
on: November 21, 2008, 03:30:58 pm
I purchased an 09' Military in October and now it's time to put it away for the winter as we just got 8 inches of snow in Cleveland last night. It doesn't even have 100 miles on it yet so it hasn't even received an oil change yet. I was wondering if there is anything special I need to do for winter? My garage is heated and stays at around 45-50 degrees throughout the winter. I have read other posts but since my garage stays above freezing I was unsure if I needed to follow the other posts recommendations. Would it be a good idea to start it a few times throughout the winter? Any help/recommendations would be welcomed. Thanks.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 03:39:40 pm
If it's going to sit for the whole winter, you could drain the gas out of the tank and the carb float bowl, and just go out a few times a month and use the kickstarter to turn the engine over to keep oil on the critical inner surfaces during long storage.

In a heated garage, there's not alot else you'd really have to do.
If you want to ride it on a nice day during the winter, then you could just have a gas can there to put gas in it for your ride. Then, when the weather socks you in for the duration, you can drain the gas again, and go back to the previous procedure until spring.

It's a good time to go out in the garage and polish the bike and all the alloy parts, so that when spring comes around, it's gleaming like new.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

uspickle

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 07:06:31 pm
How do I drain the gas tank and carb float bowl? I have the Snidel Manual at home, are the procedures in there somewhere? Thanks.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 07:24:39 pm
This is my method,
I filled my tank full with premium fuel and added proper amount of stable for 4.5 gal of gas, then ran the engine 10-15 min, next turn the fuel petcock vale to close, run till stall. last their is a screw on your carb that is on the bottom of the carb ,open the screw,you should see fuel running out through a clear hose, till empty, that will be from the carb bowl.  Plug in a battery tender.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 12:21:24 am
You mentioned, you have a 100 miles , this is my opinion , I would keep the oil to try and get to 300 miles or to 6 months old.
 The theory for keeping the oil is ,.during the run-in period it is useful to have some of the machining particulates in the oil to help hone down the newly and ruff machined surfaces in your engine. However contaminated oil is no good , so change oil if any doubts.
Oh and do the run-in by the book, you'll be glad latter.

uspickle

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 04:56:17 am
What exactly is the "stabilizer" you refer too? Are you also suggesting (because my bike is so new) that I leave the oil in it over the winter? Would it be wise for me to change it in the spring before I ride again? Not only is this the first bike I've ever owned but its the only one I've ever ridden - so my apologies if my questions seem rather simple. My lifetime of riding motorcycles consists of about 91 miles! Thanks for the input.

bobg

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 12:16:35 pm
uspickle....I'm over in Maple Hts. and have a AVL Classic that I purchased in October from L&L Classic Cycle in Hubbard,OH, great guys Matt & Jerry. I have 330 mi. on my bike now and put most of those on in the Metro Parks around here, good for the engine break-in with the 30 mph speed limit. As soon as this snow melts I'll take it out again and try to get 500 on it before the first of the year. If you want you may PM me...Bob

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 12:52:10 pm
I haven't winterize yet....actuallly i did the first 1000 mile of the break in during the winter months...we had a mild winter past two year and a few days here n there and figured itwould be good for the air cooled engine...never went to far and kept the speed down as the wind chill would pick up, the faster u go....4300 miles on a 06 iron and no problems yet....this winter seems to be different in northern virginia as this cold snap we are under seems early...last week took the yamaha 1100 to dealer to get a inspections and a jardine oil relocation installed...was able to pick it up and get it back between the rain and the coming of the cold snap....Haven't started the enfield in 2 weeks and would rather wait until the temps come up a bit as u guys have me freaked out on the sprag clutch thing and cold temps....on a final note, like to get my enfield and wife's hyosung inspected before the end of the year and not wait for the bull rush in the spring....i haven't winterize ever as we normally get a couple weird days in the winter (last jan) where it goes back up to 70-75 and everyone takes advantage of it....u guys up north don't seem to get those days..cheers
Oh Magoo you done it again

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 08:14:20 pm
What exactly is the "stabilizer" you refer too? Are you also suggesting (because my bike is so new) that I leave the oil in it over the winter? Would it be wise for me to change it in the spring before I ride again? Not only is this the first bike I've ever owned but its the only one I've ever ridden - so my apologies if my questions seem rather simple. My lifetime of riding motorcycles consists of about 91 miles! Thanks for the input.
Its a product  called STA-BAL, its at stores like Wal-mart, or any auto parts store. Cost about $5.00 . Its a fuel additive ( just pour in the required amount) it keeps varnish from forming in your carb and keeps the gas from going stale.
The oil , my thoughts are ,if you have trouble sleeping at night change the oil, if you don't like the brand of oil that is in it , change the oil, if you believe the oil may be contaminated ,change the oil. I think you'll be okay to change the oil at 100 miles for the winter, I would also change again at 500 miles or 6 months, again all this is my opinion.
After words I would change oil every 1000 miles or 6 months  which ever occurs first.

RAKe

• You'll Never See a Motorcycle Parked In Front of a Therapist's Office
  • Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 01:01:03 am
BobG, like the Brando, great film--changed the world!!

196? Triumph 500 (basket case), 1968 BSA 650 (ran, but needed work), 1976 Triumph T140V 750 (ran well -- sometimes), 2004 Harley-Davidson XL883C, 2007 Harley-Davidson FXDB

bobg

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 01:43:10 pm
BobG, like the Brando, great film--changed the world!!

Agree RAKe....great bike too, I believe it was a 49' Triumph Thunderbird.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 04:10:48 pm by bobg »