Author Topic: Is the New Classic going to be HWY friendly?  (Read 11609 times)

Deezil

• Scooter
on: November 20, 2008, 03:31:16 am
I wasn't not sure how to word that :)

Im just wondering if there is any cruising specs or performance #'s out there other than what is on the Classic bullet flash site?

Im not looking to see if it will be a rocket.....Just wanting some more info.

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 08:05:04 am
From what I've read on this forum, the Bullet Neo Classic has a reported cruising speed of ~70mph.  That should make it "highway friendly" for most riders, but I'd like to hear about its acceleration up to and past seventy.  No use having a bike that's technically highway capable if I've got to spend an eternity next to a semi truck while I'm passing. 
There's something that doesn't make sense... let's go and poke it with a stick.

Deezil

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 11:43:49 am
Well for me I rarely ever get on the hwy with my New Bonnie.  I just don't have the need or want.

I just want to know that if I HAVE to get on the hwy... I can with the new Bullet and not be wringing it out.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 01:55:39 pm
Except for the few reports that we've got from Kevin about some early testing results, be really don't know for sure.
They "say" that it will be highway capable for 70mph cruising.
We expect that will be the case, but it is yet to be proven to the open market consumer.

At 25-27hp and a little bit more torque to go with it, it would seem to be capable, and the numbers would predict at least a 85-90mph top speed and some better acceleration than we see on the current stock Bullets.

We shall see.
The chances look promising.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 03:30:59 pm
I have been to the mountain and what Ace thinks is true is in fact true. This will be a huge step for us.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 06:34:34 pm
All good news, but is there any chance of getting a classic dual seat standard on these puppies?  The solos are fine, but I'd like at least the option, off the bat, to carry a passenger.

EDIT:  On a sidenote that will prove a whole lot more relevant to this topic, that top speed is awfully close to tonning up.  Cut down the fenders, change the exhaust, go up a couple of teeth on the front gear, and you can have a much easier cafe racer than with the previous model Bullet.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 01:23:47 am by Bullet Bill »
There's something that doesn't make sense... let's go and poke it with a stick.

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 10:48:55 pm
I have been to the mountain and what Ace thinks is true is in fact true. This will be a huge step for us.
Beautiful.... but I'm keeping my Iron Barrel 55-60mph Thumper.... I'll just add to it the UCE when it comes, all things being equal and the creek don't rise!  Then maybe I can keep up with my BMW buddies. ;D
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

taildraggin

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 02:36:31 am
Is there such a thing as a good highway single?

The closest thing is the F 650 CS BMW, which they stopped making.  It was 'pretty good' on the highway, but relatively buzzy, etc.  And, that's about the latest and greatest of the type.

But, it's certainly nice not to burn up your bike if you have to do a highway slog.
1977 HD XLCR
1937 HD ULH
Diesel Enfield abirthing from a 2004 Sixty-5

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 07:43:44 am
    My KLR650 will cruise at 65-75 with no problem.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 11:05:09 am
The F650 GS I had would run what ever you wanted just like all my other Beemers.

It's biggest problem (basically the same for all of the newer beemers) was taking 12 +- screws and three panels out just to check the battery. Nothing (anymore) like an RE.

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 01:00:43 pm
Matt Lockso sez "The RE has everything you need on a motorcycle and nothing you don't."  That's one more thing I love about 'em compared to the stuff that's being put out (put 'on' us?) today!  I haven't seen much of the plasticized stuff that's as beautiful either.  "Just what is needed is more!"
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 BMW F800ST

taildraggin

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 01:24:54 pm
Not saying that there aren't singles that can't do highway, but there are much better tools in the box for that job.

'Adventure' (and dual purpose) bikes sell on a broader, compromised envelope.  But, none of them are better than the failed street-only Scarver.  BMW has countered this with the new F800 parallel twin for the same reason that brit parallel twins replaced singles in the '60s - the creation of motorways and interstates...

I really like the concept behind the Scarver (F650CS) - all in one commuter bike - but it was more 'appliance' than motorcycle.   Too much iPod styling and too little Manx Norton soul.
1977 HD XLCR
1937 HD ULH
Diesel Enfield abirthing from a 2004 Sixty-5

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 02:22:55 pm
Water-cooled 650s and aircooled 500s are not a direct comparison.

A properly built Bullet 612 can cruise at 70mph with no problems, and break "the ton" too, with the right gearing. I know somebody who's cruised all day at 70mph+ , along with his son on a Triumph 750 Bonneville(Meriden Triumph), and kept with him in every way, on his 612 Bullet. And that same 612 Bullet was clocked at 110mph by GPS timing, with him laying down on the tank.

Here's why:
The 612 increases both the bore and the stroke of the Bullet, while adding about 22% more displacement.
This provides significantly more torque, including more torque down lower in the rpm range.
You can gear it up higher to 19T or 20T, and still not be slow at accelerating off from a stoplight. It produces more power lower down in the rpms, so you can easily do 70mph at a much lower rpm without straining the engine.
It also produces more power up high, to a certain limit of about 5500rpm, so that you can pull a higher top speed too.

Make sure it has good bearings, an oil cooler, an alloy jug, and free-flowed intake and exhaust, and you have the equal of any Brit 650 twin. Maybe not quite equal in outright power, but very close, and the Bullet is 75 pounds lighter. So acceleration is going to be comparable.

It's not a cheap conversion, but it's available, and it can make that Bullet move up into the performance category of a Brit 650cc twin. Or even some Brit 750cc twins.
It puts some real muscle into a Bullet.
To really do it right, it would mean putting about $5k into your engine mods and associated other parts needed.
But if you bought a $2k Bullet in need of some TLC, and threw the $5k at it, you'd still be only at $7k. Allow probably another $1k for "unforeseens", that might turn up to be needed, like a racing clutch.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 02:53:43 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 09:36:21 pm
I ride the Interstate any damn time I please with my '04 Sixty-5.  The minimum speed is 45mph so it isn't a problem.

If they're good enough to catch me, they should be good enough to pass.
-"Speed" Olsen, U.S. Navy, at a motocross race in Japan, 1967, after being black flagged for riding too slow.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 10:56:47 pm
Minimum speed on Interstates is, I believe, 45, and even the unbored iron barrel Bullets do that with ease.  When I HAVE to go on the Interstates, I just stay in the right lane, put 'er at around 60ish where she doesn't complain, and keep my eye on my 'six' just to make sure some damn blind fool in a Suckingly Useless Vehicle doesn't try to climb my back fender instead of passing on the left.  No problems yet, but I do indeed watch my six o'clock.  Be a dang fool if I didn't! ::)
Ralph Meyer
2010 BMW F800ST