Author Topic: simple wiring Q for classic tailight  (Read 2844 times)

bulletsixty5

• Scooter
on: November 19, 2008, 01:15:34 am
 ??? so, yeah, total newb question....

i hae the british classic taillight from classic motor works. so, see pic.after removal of the original, im a bit confused on how to rewire.

the new taillight has 2 wires; red and black.

from the fender, i have 4 wires; gray, green, and two black: one with a round connector, the other with a larger female crimp adapter.

so....what goes to what? i found that both gray and red are hot. if i hook up red from the the taillight to the gray from the fender, and black from the taillight to either black wire from the fender, i get a light. however, there is no bright light on brake press. i tried a bunch of combos, but the same issue.

can someone give me the correct wiring combo? the taillight didnt come with any instructions, and i suck at elecrical stuff.

thanks!
Deano
2004 Bullet 500 Sixty-5
2006 MazdaSpeed6 (turbo AWD 6sp)
2004 TN'G Baja 150

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 01:43:18 am
On my bike the green is the hot wire from the brake switch,
The gray is the hot for the taillight
The black wires are the ground from both the trafficators (turn signals) and tail lights.

So, If I had your taillight I would attach the red from the taillight to the green on the bike, then the black from the taillight to the grey from the bike, then attach the black wires from the bike to metal case of the taillight assembly.

bulletsixty5

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 03:11:39 am
correct you are sir, thank you! although i didnt need to ground one of the black wires, im guessing for the turn signals.

now i have a new problem. when i line up the taillight with the holes, the light seems way too low. it is pointing down. the next hole up is way at the top, which seems too high. am i supposed to drill a new hole to mount it (about 5 inches up to what would make the top level/parallel with the ground), which would leave two open holes and the grommet with the wires exposed below the light. (which would be covered by the license plate). i had thought this was a direct bolt-on replacement?
Deano
2004 Bullet 500 Sixty-5
2004 TN'G Baja 150

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 05:31:50 pm
     None of these add-ons fit like that. You will have to drill new holes. Any holes left uncovered can be hidden with emblems or stickers. Put a rubber grommet in any hole you pull wires through or they will fray and short out on the fender.
     When you mount the new light: Bend large washers to match the curve of the inside of the fender and use nylock nuts on the mounting studs. With the washers in place draw the nuts to barely snug, THEN STOP! Over tightening will cause the fender to split.

bulletsixty5

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 05:56:13 pm
cool thanks. i called cmw and they said i had to drill new holes. they are currently writing up an installation sheet with wiring and drilling instructions to be shipped with the classic tailight since they come with none, and apparently they get alot of inquiries about it. they have been very helpful in assisting me with this, as well as this forum. in the meantime, hopefully this thread helps out novices like me with putting it on. thanks guys! pix coming soon....
Deano
2004 Bullet 500 Sixty-5
2004 TN'G Baja 150

chris-bartlett

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 04:30:39 am
I've got the same question and I suck at electrical, but I have different colored wires going to my tail light. Can anyone tell me which goes to which? My Bullet has a green, a green/yellow, and an orange. My new light just has a green and a black.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 04:56:11 am by chris-bartlett »

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 06:20:13 am
From your photo it would appear that the orange wire is the tail-light, and the green/yellow is the brake light.  The solid green is likely the ground wire.

So, the question is, does the bulb on your new light have two separate filiments or just one (is there two metal connections on the bottom of the bulb or just one)?

If your new light has two filiments and two connections, you have a tail light and a brake light.  The ground would then be the socket or metal part of your new light fixture.

So, to make a long story short, attach the green wire from you new light to the orange wire on the bike for the tail light.  Attach the black wire from the new light to the green/yellow wire.  Then you will need to some how connect the green wire (ground wire) from the bike to metal case of the new light.  Then switch the key to the on position and the tail light should glow.  Then press the brake and the brake liight should glow.

If not, report back with the result.