Author Topic: No Spark  (Read 3636 times)

Elk Grove Don

• Scooter
on: November 15, 2008, 11:48:00 pm
Haven't heard this one one the forum yet.  Out on a long ride and the motor starts to cut out, then run for awhile and starts to cut out again, frantically trying to get home the bike gives up the ghost and quits running.  I pull the spark plug, turn the engine over and no spark.  Hum, bad key, faulty cut off switch on the handle bars, primary chain too loose and it's cut thru one of the wires in the case (Yack)  Heck no and I was going to remove it anyway, the "kick stand switch", I cut the two wires, checked spark and she fired right up.  I don't know when or why Enfield added that little gem, but if you have a mind, I'd remove it, just one less thing to go wrong.
Don

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 07:42:21 am
Health and safety police at it again. The same nutters put stop signs at the top of step ladders and print warnings that your coffee may be hot, etc, etc.

One day they will realise that engines make bikes go fast. Then new machines will be shipped without pistons, just so that nobody gets hurt.

2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 03:04:01 pm
Don,
Can you tell us a bit more about the switch failure? I don't think we have had one fail in the past and we are curious. As you discovered disconnecting it allows it to operate with the kickstand down. Since it comes from the factory that way so that you don't take off with the stand down we could never recommend that anyone remove it, but we do get a lot of calls from newbies whose bikes won't start only do discover the stand is down.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Elk Grove Don

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 01:17:05 am
Took the switch apart (4 small screws) and it's a very simple switch.  The contact points had some grease on them, wiped it off and the switch now works.  If I had thought about it I guess I could of moved the kick stand up and down a few times and maybe the bike would of come to life, but now I'd be plagued with not knowing what was causing the problem.  I'm not sure why the small amount of grease would cause the problem but like I said I've removed the switch.  I like the center stand and use it often ( I kick start all the time), the only time I use the kick stand is when the bike is parked on an uneven surface.  The switch is probably a good safety thing (that first left hand turn could be fun) and if this is the only failure, no worries.
Don

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 01:57:14 am
i disconnected my side switch... took that whole 8 inch or so wire thing out and put electricians tape ove the opening left ,,, the wires were almost cut in 1/2 by the center stand..  very bare..  no longer..  only one time and counting for the dragging side stanD.. at least it is spring loaded ;D

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 12:32:23 pm
I insisted on a non American specification model when I bought mine in India.

I bought the India model where everything works when you ask it to without a puzzle on why it wont.

I had them remove the  little stabalizer wheels  that hold it up when I stop at traffic lights.

I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 07:34:47 pm
Heard tell that a front-mounted wicker basket an' kewpie doll will be standard fit on UK models for 2010 - to make the bikes look less gender defined in accordance with Euro directive 3.11-2 C.

;D
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Elk Grove Don

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 08:23:11 pm
You guys are toooo much, I'll be looking for the wicker basket in the parts catalog, Ha!
Don

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 03:53:31 pm
But is there an attachment for my fly rod?

Laurence

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 08:26:43 pm
Oh yes! a wicker case for my fly rod - top drawer! Can't wait!
"I don't want a pickle - I just wanna ride my motor sickle" - A. Guthrie

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 10:12:36 pm
Hving an electrical leaning (and no, you can't get medication for it) I decided to adapt the kickstand switch.

I fitted a small 12 volt auto relay which fires from the +12v Neutral Indicator wire. This, in turn allows the kickstand switch to be ignored if the bike is in neutral.

This therefore allows the bike to be started and warmed up on the kickstand. If the clutch is pulled in and a gear selected with the kickstand down, the engine cuts out.

Works for me. No more pole vaulting practice at the first bend.

If anyone wants the circuit diagram, let me know.

REgards

TT
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 12:50:09 am
Way to go TT. I had a BMW wired that way from the factory, I thought I was a good idea then and still think that.

Elk Grove Don

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 02:18:24 am
Hey, TT, maybe Enfield could get you to write a electrical trouble shooting manual, thanks for the tip,  I hate electrical problems.  The best thing about this forum is all the information that comes from it, unbelievable.  I think the wicker fly rod case can be ordered from Cabela's.
Don

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 02:44:40 am
     I had them remove the  little stabalizer wheels  that hold it up when I stop at traffic lights.    
Ya, me to when I was  a kid :D
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 09:34:39 pm
.....  I think the wicker fly rod case can be ordered from Cabela's.
Don

But is it proper English wicker? One wouldn't want his trout in anything less.

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 08:43:46 am
Hey, TT, maybe Enfield could get you to write a electrical trouble shooting manual, thanks for the tip,  I hate electrical problems.  Don

Electrics are just another form of logic puzzle. Just start at one end of a circuit and follow through until you complete it. That's when the lamp lights!

The worst thing that one can do is to "dive" into the middle of a fault and start tearing things apart. At this stage, you can be fairly certain that you now have more than one fault!
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 03:14:56 pm
Now there's an electronic guy with veeerry good advice.