Author Topic: Kick start woes.  (Read 24008 times)

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 11:52:55 pm
Indiana - due to an old injury I find that my right knee can become very painful from time to time, making kickstarting the Bullet very painful.  I found that as long as I use the proper drill, it's quite easy to start the bike with my left foot.  May be worth a try!

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 08:05:16 pm
I may try it, but then I may injure both sides... :)
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 08:15:35 pm
I may try it, but then I may injure both sides... :)

True.... especially if your Bullet is out to get you.  I hadn't thought of that.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

lunar

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 08:40:39 pm
weird...

I was pushing my RE few times yesterday...(I lost kick start lever - so this is the only way to start now)...and I have to say that it's not easy!

My knee hurts today, but also one elbow (how did I manage that?)... :'(

We should start thread about pain :)

How's your injury, IndianaBulleteer?

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 01:50:34 am
My injury has stabilized to bloody painful.  Can't touch the area without contact pain, can't run, kick start anything, or dance on it. Can walk, with limp, can move ankle around.  It hurts when things touch it, wakes me up if I hit it with the other foot, and makes me howl if the dog jumps on it.

I am having to rethink my preferences for motorcycling pleasures.  Electric start is so attractive, and kickstarts are things I may well never wish to play with again.  When I get better, and can run, I will try bump starting it -- run like heck, jump in air, land on bike at same time as letting out clutch on second gear..  Starts quite well - or at least it did in the 60s.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

gapl53

Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 03:28:16 pm
Indiana - due to an old injury I find that my right knee can become very painful from time to time, making kickstarting the Bullet very painful.  I found that as long as I use the proper drill, it's quite easy to start the bike with my left foot.  May be worth a try!

Tom
I can remember more than once my father standing beside his BSA Lighting Rocket and using his left foot to start the beast.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 07:20:34 pm
So the thing got him too, eh?
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

lunar

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: August 30, 2007, 07:49:59 pm
"When I get better, and can run, I will try bump starting it -- run like heck, jump in air, land on bike at same time as letting out clutch on second gear..  Starts quite well - or at least it did in the 60s."

My bike is so heavy...and I guess I am not so fit anymore...bump starting is so difficult.

I wish I have my kick start pedal :(

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: August 30, 2007, 10:40:07 pm
You could maybe find a hill.  I had an old car like that - I had to park on a hill, because I need to start it by rolling it down the hill.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: August 31, 2007, 03:20:18 am
I turned on my ankle tonight, and something clicked.. I will get an xray tomorrow.  It now hurts like merry 'ell.  If my ankle is broken, the Enfield is for sale - I love the bike, but I will have a weakened ankle for a long time, and I like to ride bikes, not have 'em sitting in the barn because I can't start them.  The question, if i have a broken ankle, is do I put the disc brake onto the bike before I sell it, or should I keep it for the Classic I intend to buy in the new year?
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

prof_stack

Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 05:19:49 am
I turned on my ankle tonight, and something clicked.. I will get an xray tomorrow.  It now hurts like merry 'ell.  If my ankle is broken, the Enfield is for sale - I love the bike, but I will have a weakened ankle for a long time, and I like to ride bikes, not have 'em sitting in the barn because I can't start them.  The question, if i have a broken ankle, is do I put the disc brake onto the bike before I sell it, or should I keep it for the Classic I intend to buy in the new year?

DANG!  That's a dang shame.  Let's hope it's not broken.  Good luck!!

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: August 31, 2007, 10:54:00 pm
Went to the doctor's office today, got looked at by multi angle xrays, and got a nasty shock. "Fractured Talus, Navicular, second Cuneiform,and upper section of the cuboid."  Got told I was either hard as nails, or stupid for walking around on it for a week.

This means I have a surplus Royal Enfield now.  I will have to wait until January to get an electric start machine.  The doctor suggests that it will take over three months to get strength back in my ankle, and kick starting a bike will be out for six months or more.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

Peter

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 11:21:46 pm
Man, sorry to hear that.

In my case it was straightforward stupidity.

One week is nothing, gotta give a person a little time.

May it heal well.

Peter

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: September 01, 2007, 12:35:14 am
Thanks, it sucks a bit - I am more upset with the idea of selling the bullet, but I will have a weak ankle for months if not a year or more..  no point keeping a bike you can't ride, when I have one I am going to ride every day - I can ride the Ural, even though I can't really drive the jeep (can't get in)
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

deejay

Reply #29 on: September 01, 2007, 01:04:16 am
oh man, that really sucks. sorry to hear that.