Author Topic: Kick start woes.  (Read 23999 times)

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: September 09, 2007, 04:35:00 am
I was intending to sell the kickstart bike, but I can't I like it too much.. I will do something with it to make it not hurt me.  I do intend to buy an ES in the new year.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #46 on: September 20, 2007, 08:31:51 pm
Hope the ankle heals soonish and well etc.  ;)

I have a 500ES but only use the starter if I really have to as in stalled in traffic etc which happened when I first got it a few times due to 'operator error' !!!  ::)
I enjoy kicking it over. Satisfying.
I have had it kick back once thoough I admit and yesterday I realised I'd left the fuel turned on for three days without going out on it. Kicked it over yesterday evening to be greeted by a flame from the air intake!!!!!!   :o
Runs fine now etc etc now so guess it had just flooded a bit without me realising.
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: September 20, 2007, 10:11:31 pm
Make sure you keep the timing spot on.. if you don't you may break a bone or two. (or four in my case)
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Sam

• Uralist & now, Bulleteer!
  • Bulleteer
Reply #48 on: September 21, 2007, 12:19:37 am
It's surprising how much oomph that comparatively low compression can generate when it's feeling testy. I had a 500 Enfield, late 50's variety, in the 60's that'd been abused somewhat. I recall trying to start it after having far too much to drink, to ride back to campus (student at that time) and being spit over the handlebars; hit a wall upside down with my back. I walked home after that. The bike probably saved my life by not starting.
<Insert cryptic saying by obscure author here>

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: September 21, 2007, 01:19:00 am
I was amazed how hard the kick back was - I have very strong legs - I work out, ride cycle, and walk so I have good muscles - that may be why it broke two of my ankle bones, and two foot bones, but it ripped of a loose shoe, and threw that 40 ft in front of the bike, and my foot swelled up to foot ball size. Funny thing was, I was not straight legged, but tense, so my muscles held the leg still, and the kick back bent my foot up to my leg..  It hurt then, and it hurts now still. The ankle is not hurting much, now, just the top bone of my foot.  It has taught me a lesson I will not forget - keep the timing spot on, and get a bike with electric start.

I am intending to lower the gearing of the bike, and turn it into a trials machine, start it by bumping it, and only use the kicker when I have to. I will probably go with an electronic ignition too, to keep it from doing my foot in again.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

gemini641

• Scooter
Reply #50 on: September 21, 2007, 04:44:28 am
Electronic ignition is good but it has to stay spot on, too. It was trying to set the timing on my electronic ignition that started all my troubles. The backfiring from being too far advanced took out my Sprag clutch and a couple of other starter gears, too. I strongly suggest you time it dynamically with a timing light. See the topic "Srag clutch woes" on this forum to see how it's done. It worked great and the timing is right on the money.

Tom

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: September 21, 2007, 06:31:03 am
Thank you for that information and suggestion. I will do that, when all the bits get here for getting it right. I am ordering them as finances allow.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #52 on: September 23, 2007, 01:56:18 am
This ignition is available from us (Classic Motorworks), for much less than the $130 quoted below. Our everyday price is $89.95 and it can be found here: http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/best-value-electronic-ignition-p-94.html
When you are wiring it up the instructions shown below can indeed be confusing. The problem is that they eliminate the kill switch on US market bikes. If you attach the wire that is supposed to go to the negative terminal of the coil to the wire going to the points instead all will be well. Another thing to remember is that this unit uses the stock spring/weight type advance that is stock equipment. A reliable method that has been used for over 100 years will good result........however it goes to full advance pretty quickly. No issue with a stock bike, but less than desirable for a modified engine. We offer a stronger spring to counter this It is a very easy install and doesn't cost very much. If there is a weakness to the system it is that you have to time the engine by ear. We offer another unit
http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/power-electronic-ignition-p-7013.html the Power Arc.
It is quite a bit more sophisticated and is easy to time.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com