Author Topic: Clutch rod adjustment?  (Read 1655 times)

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
on: November 10, 2008, 03:03:32 pm
So I did the BIG 300 mile service on my '09 Military Saturday morning.
I had already dumped the oils at 100 miles, so it was just a re torque and adjustments.
Nothing weird, valves were good, a few bolts slightly loose, etc.
I had bought a service manual for the new motor, so I was following that.
I had a '04 bullet with the old style cast iron cylinder a few years ago, so I had an idea of what to look for.
So, I read in the manual, loosen the clutch cable, (I had it removed to lube up), R/R the cover, loosen the locking nut, turn the adjusting screw until SLIGHT pressure and tighten up the locking nut.??????????????????? ???
I could be wrong, but I swore on the older 5 speeds, you ran the adjusting screw in until contact and back it our 1/4 of a turn.
Funny, that's what this one was out by-1/4 turn.
SO, I split the difference-1/8 turn. Put the cable back on, got the slack out and took 'er for a ride. Seems OK?
So, has the drugs from my youth finally got to the few brain cells I had left or what?
What is the CORRECT adjustment for the adjusting rod??
Joe
You can teach old dogs new trick, it's just that they can't remember it for long. ;)

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 10:03:31 pm
Snidal manual says 1/4 turn on the 5-speed, but if 1/8 is working for you I wouldn't worry too much.  There sometimes isn't much difference between slip and drag.  Kevin M. (CMW) says to tighten the cable "as much as you dare".  I have that there might be only a 1/2 turn between slip and drag.
Joe28,
just re-read your post and realized that I'm in the AVL section of the forum.  If I could delete my post I would.  I'm talking old style iron barrel so FWIW there it is.  Sorry
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 10:08:10 pm by Leonard »
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com