Author Topic: ...more carb questions...  (Read 4147 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 05:24:49 pm
My bike behaves and is configured similarly to Ace's machine. Slightly weak running just off idle, giving rise to the occasional hiccup or spit back is where I am at the moment - and a bit worse in the cold winter air. I too have lifted the carb.needle as far as possible and that definitely strengthened quarter throttle response. I have set the idle circuit richer, which helped a little but at the cost of reliable idling. I think I need a carb. slide with a richer cut away to sort it out properly. This all goes to show how much better gas flow you can get with an after market pipe and muffler - even at low engine speeds.

Chasfield,
Yes, I tend to agree about the slide cutaway.
I ordered the slide with richer cutaway from CMW about 10 weeks ago, and it apparently is still on backorder, since I have not received notice about it being shipped..
Home of the Fireball 535 !

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 12:23:22 am
Yes I see they have a upgraded slide and needles also..was thinking the same thing over the winter..take off the carb and put in the modified slide,etc....i noticed that pic they presented sure looks like the same slide I have in there (color at least)..what is the difference between the standard and modified slide of the MicCarb VM 28  ????  What is the difference between po0. p1, p2, etc in needles (amount of holes and size of holes)????
Oh Magoo you done it again

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 02:32:01 am
The richer slide has a slightly different profile on the bottom of the slide.
This cutaway creates a condition where slightly less air goes thru the main venturi of the carb during all throttle openings.

The different needle jets are just like any other jet. Larger orifices allow more fuel to flow, smaller orifices allow less fuel to flow.

The various jets affect different throttle positions in mixture setting.
See if you can get the Mikuni Carburetor Tuning Guide, because that has all the explanations and techniques for tuning in it. Very worthwhile documentation to have.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 07:08:59 am
Ace- when I driled the Bazooka and added the K&N I went to a 30 pilot and 130 main. Too much popping in the carb. Went back to the 27.5 pilot and all was good. Kept the 130 ...Try the 130 main and see what ya get. One other small touch I did was to put the needle in a drill chuck and spin it a little on emery cloth...  don't know how much I took off the bottom half at the taper but I figured it didn't hurt.
   Everything was grand for years and then I went to the flatside a couple of months ago...   what a kick in the arse!!
now my clutch slips when I go to 4rth if I'm twist'n to hard...
               - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill