Author Topic: Dateline Chennai  (Read 13435 times)

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 02:17:06 am
The red bike is not under manufacture at this point so sorry no pictures.

Kevin, I thank you, in any case, for your prompt response.

Best regards,

Papa Juan
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 05:34:40 pm
Appreciate the update.  I hope you do get a good review from SPORTBIKE-....Uh, I mean CYCLE WORLD.  They have a good magazine but can be pretty narrow in their views.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 05:52:53 pm
Mark Hoyer is a 500 Vellocette guy so I think we will be OK
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 05:59:02 pm
Flew to Bombay this AM for a couple of meetings. While Chennai is chaotic, it cannot hold a candle to Bombay. I am told that there are 50 million people there (have not verified this). It is the financial and film capital of India. The contrast are very stark here. They have enormously wealthy people and beautiful building next to the largest slum in all of Asia. It is a fascinating place because of this. Had a Koran given to me by a taxi driver who would have done a team of Mormon missionaries proud. Nice guy and carried a trunk full of Korans in every language imaginable. One of my meetings was by the beach which had the stench of rotten fish. It was full of young people flirting with each other and I seemed to be the only one who noticed the odor. The smell of India do not normally bother me, but the fish thing is too much. The worst I ever got was several years ago when I got dragged into the Bombay fish market. It was over the top.
  Took a ride in an auto rickshaw from the beach to the airport for my return trip to Chennai tonight.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: November 10, 2008, 06:12:10 pm
Heard a good one today
"If you don't trip while walking in the cities of India, you can't blame them for not trying"
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

David R

• Scooter
  • Bullet 65, BMW R75/5 Suzuki DR650
Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 12:48:50 am
Uh-Oh...my fantasies involve red.

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 07:16:06 pm
Kevin, glad to hear the bikes did so well right off of the assembly line! I'm starting to get really tempted!!!! Thanks for all of the neat photos cochi

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 03:13:20 pm
That makes two of us, Kev.  Can't wait till these bikes hit our shores... But I still figure on keeping my iron barrel '08.  That's a classic!  But I love the looks and higher possible speeds of the new one! :)
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 05:24:31 pm
Assuming I'm looking at the right picture,
what is under that big oval side caover that doesn't appear on other models?
Run what ya brung

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 05:40:43 pm
Also, What does "UCE" stand for, please?

After looking a a couple of websiite, I'm very confused about models.  There seems to be an old classic, yet a new totally different classic?  A TwinSpark?  Is that douple plugged?

Is there any place to look to sort out all the different models?  A chart, perhaps?
Run what ya brung

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 07:34:54 pm
Uncle,
1.The "old" classic with the Iron motor. Very traditional, and in service 50 years.
2. The AVL motor. Also called the "lean burn". Produced side by side, then replacing the "Iron". This more modern motor was developed to pass EPA standards. Priginally in the Electra, then added to the Classics.
3. The UCE (Unit Construction Engine). Totally new and modernized. A result of EPA and EURO demands.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 09:46:44 pm
2. The AVL motor. Also called the "lean burn". Produced side by side, then replacing the "Iron". This more modern motor was developed to pass EPA standards. Priginally in the Electra, then added to the Classics.

We have all these different models, acronyms and mis-named parts (iron head) any new person gets confused.  I've had my Sixty-5 since 2005 and try to keep up with the new stuff but if I ever knew what AVL ment I've forgotton, someone please clue me in.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: November 15, 2008, 11:33:57 pm

We have all these different models, acronyms and mis-named parts (iron head) any new person gets confused.  I've had my Sixty-5 since 2005 and try to keep up with the new stuff but if I ever knew what AVL ment I've forgotton, someone please clue me in.

AVL is an Austrial company involved with powertrain engineering and development. The designed the lean burn motor for RE, and have partnered with GM and others in the development of different systems.
AVL is the world's largest privately owned and independent company for the development of gasoline, diesel, alternative fuel powertrain systems, as well as fuel cell and hybrid technologies. The company also manufactures powertrain instrumentation and test systems. Close cooperation with customers is guaranteed by affiliates and local offices worldwide. AVL's North American Headquarters is located in the Detroit suburb of Plymouth, Michigan."

"
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Deezil

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 02:38:00 pm
Good Lord! I Hope is doesnt cost as much as a new Bonnie?

I had planned on Trading my 2008 T100 in on the new Classic when it comes out!
That would be what? A $3k US jump in price from one year to the next on the RE C UCE.

Yikes!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 02:57:21 pm
I don't think it will be as pricey as a new Bonneville.
Probably not a huge amount less, but still lower than the Bonnie.
That's my guess, anyway.
Home of the Fireball 535 !