Author Topic: Creeping up on the ton!  (Read 3034 times)

csbdr

• Bulleteer
on: October 31, 2009, 04:38:09 am
I   know, it's dangerous and irresponsible....hehehehehe! ;D

Got on the Northway for a couple exits and traffic was moving fast....so I stretched out to the rear pegs, laid my chin on the speedo, and opened her up.  On a nice downhill section, the needle hit 91 mph!  And not even WOT yet! This bike keeps suprizing me.

I can't wait to ditch the weight of the muffler and see what she will really do!

Ton Up, boys!!

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 05:04:46 pm
i don't think the weight of the muffler will have much effect.This summer with passenger, on our big hill the speedo got to 95. the next day i went solo down the same hill and did'nt quite get that fast. tail wind? head wind?
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 10:11:58 pm
The stock exhaust on the C5/G5 bikes weighs about a metric tonne - and isn't what you'd call free-flowing. Adding the early-style three chamber silencer from CMW sheds weight and adds some "zoot" according to the Official Butt Dyno. I'm guessing that aero effects come into play pretty hard at about 80 on the bikes with no windshield or anything - I know that eye-watering effects hit a lot sooner than that! I think the new bikes are a sure thing for the Ton-Up Club with very few mods. That's heady stuff for a 500cc machine!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 09:31:34 pm
yup!  I'm looking more toward getting a few extra ponies behind me, but ditching some weight DOES make a difference.  I offloaded 30-40 pounds from my old military by taking off the crashbars and paniers, and it did affect the butt-dyno.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 09:46:38 pm
Without wanting to spoil the party, let's remember that these Enfield speedometers are very optimistic.
Especially at higher speeds.

I remember when I first got my bike and I was cruising around at 65mph all the time, and it was super smooth at that speed. I was getting irritated that cars were passing me when I was doing 10mph over the speed limit already.
Or, so I thought.
Then I used a more accurate gauge of a radar sign that shows your speed by radar, and I was really doing 55mph, when my speedo said 65mph.
 :D

Home of the Fireball 535 !

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 10:26:48 pm
For a real thrill, put a metric speedometer in there.  You'll FLY !
Run what ya brung

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 11:41:45 pm
Speed is in the butt of the beholder .... I rode the old Duh-Nyepper so much that the Enfield felt like a Japper-Knees Sport Bike! Hahaha!  ;D
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!