Author Topic: Strange noise  (Read 12517 times)

deejay

Reply #15 on: September 01, 2007, 02:29:59 pm
Sometimes the best cure for a noise in the Bullet is a louder muffler.

Since i'm sure it's the welded cat in the pipe, yup this would fix it! :)

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: September 01, 2007, 03:04:15 pm
well I bought another exhaust of ebay, we'll see.  when I had the old one off, I looked into the pipe and everything seemed intact. I have readjusted the primary..checked out for anything loose under the seat. thought maybe it was the side stand but it's tight.

I checked the weights, the rear chain is adjusted..

Thanks for the input..  still haven't found it.. but it doesn't seem to be as bad.

I riding to work today , so we'll see

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: September 01, 2007, 03:52:26 pm
I gave up trying to identify the noises my Oily makes - it keeps on going, so I tune out the clatter, rattles, and vibrations.. Or at least I do when I can start the thing.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 02, 2007, 01:43:55 am
Loud exhaust works for me too. With the stock muffler, the noises the bike made scared me.

gapl53

Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 02:31:52 pm
I gave up trying to identify the noises my Oily makes - it keeps on going, so I tune out the clatter, rattles, and vibrations.. Or at least I do when I can start the thing.
I agree this is the way it was meant to run a Royal Enfield. Don't worry about the little annoyances as long as it runs. That how it was in the old days.

prof_stack

Reply #20 on: September 02, 2007, 05:23:20 pm
My former Harley Electra-Glide had a similar noise as you described.  Turned out the baffle in the aftermarket "Screaming Eagle" muffler needed to be rewelded "every so often".  That worked, but eventually I put on the originals, discovered that a little more back pressure meant better low end pull (at least on this Hog), and loved the quieter exhaust note.

Hopefully your noise will go away or else that you learn to not hear it!   ;D

gapl53

Reply #21 on: September 03, 2007, 03:15:10 pm
My former Harley Electra-Glide had a similar noise as you described.  Turned out the baffle in the aftermarket "Screaming Eagle" muffler needed to be rewelded "every so often".  That worked, but eventually I put on the originals, discovered that a little more back pressure meant better low end pull (at least on this Hog), and loved the quieter exhaust note.

Hopefully your noise will go away or else that you learn to not hear it!   ;D

Back pressure to a point will always increase low end torque. The more open the pipes, means the horsepower will move closer to the top of the RPM, sometimes with a loss of torque. Sometimes you can even move it pass the safe RPM limit of the engine. Straight pipes or drag pipes will do this often, especially on low peak RPM engines like the H-D or Enfield. People think they are going faster than they are because of the noise created. I always outrun my buddy's Screaming Eagle equipped Road King with my stock Electra-Glide Classic even when I'm two up and he's single. Drives him nuts, he won't believe mine is stock.
Noisier is not always better.

hoppyre

• Scooter
  • 06 Bullet Sixty-5. 09 Suzuki Tu250x
Reply #22 on: September 04, 2007, 12:44:53 pm
This just started,, just before I shift to the next gear any gear.. I hear this vibration like noise,

It dissappears after I get past a certain RPM level.. the re occurs at the same spot in the next gears.

Almost sounds like something is loose and hitting .. I can't tell where it's coming from since it doesn't last long.

It only does it while moving..I haved revved the enginge slowly on the center stand,  but it doesn't occur.

The rear chain is within tolerance, It doesn't sound like valves, I thought about pulling the primary cover and checking to see if the primary chain is loose, but I tightened it about 75 miles ago.

Has anyone any suggestions on where to begin My search,,

Thanks,

I'll check back later, I've got to get to work,,

scotty

Hey Scotty, had the same noise on my Bullet 65, would only show up at 45 mph in top gear. Turned out to be the chain guard viberating bad enough to hit the left shock. Tightened all the guard bolts, and bent the rear bracket a little. Hope this helps.     Mark