Author Topic: winter  (Read 5668 times)

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 02:22:14 pm
Before I get remarried and was a single dad, I kept my road bikes in the living room. :D It was ritual, if we bought a off road bike, it stayed in the house for a week. I've rebuilt many a bike in my spare room, with plywood and a tarp on the floor!
Now that I "domesticated", my bikes live in a shed and the work shop.
This year I'm gonna TRY to ride my '09 Military with the side car, (if it ever gets here) all winter.
My road bikes-winter storage-
I wash and put a GOOD coat of wax on EVERYTHING, (to keep rust away from bare metal).
Tank filled to the brim, with sta-bil (and dry gas). I run the bike for a while, then turn the gas off and drain the carb.
Lube the cables, grease the throttle tube cam and the handle bar.
Lube ANYTHING that moves.
Lube the chain really good.
New oil(s)
Clean the air filter.
Check/replace ANYTHING close to being bad, (this way in the spring, I gotta install the battery and go! No waiting for parts).
Only time I ever ARMOUR ALL the tires, (inflate to 35 PSI)
I take the battery out, put it in the cellar on a board off the cold floor with the battery tender on it, (I keep all my bikes on a Battery Tender year round. I park them turn off the gas and plug'er in. This keeps the battery up).
I keep a sheet over it to keep the dust off them, a cover if I was lucky enough to get one.

In the spring I, check tire condition and PSI, fire it up, fast idle to get everything "loose", a easy ride, a oil change, and we're both happy!
Joe
I ride, therefore I am ;)

DonK

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 02:22:53 pm
webnash, where in western mass are you?

webnash

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 09:37:31 pm
montery - just east of great barringtion - 10 minutes from last MA exit off mass pike

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 07:11:20 pm
Well, It snowed today. Roads were wet and the temperature not too bad at just a bit below freezing. But I drove the cage.
I simply chickend out. I'm so shamed.  ::)
jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 07:57:48 pm
And well you should be, Jim.  ummm I've so glad that it almost never snows here.  :D

Elk Grove Don

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 01:51:47 am
Hey, what are you guys talking about, California is the place you want to be, maybe not 365 days a year but close to it.  yea we got our problems out here, but for bike riding you can't beat it.  San Francisco area in the winter is the best, Pacific Coast, a little windy, clear as a bell, little traffic on the "Blue Highways".  Hum this weekend I think the Sierra Nevada's, maybe a ghost town, ha!
Don

AJY

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 04:32:52 am
Hey how do es the bullet AVL engine run in the cold of winter? anyone?
two wheels are beter then one