Author Topic: winter  (Read 5675 times)

webnash

• Scooter
on: October 28, 2008, 11:48:04 pm
What are folks in the north doing to their bikes in the winter? Full gas tank with stabilizer? Empty gas tank with the inside coated with some kind of rust protection? Change fluids in fall or spring? Or not at all until mileage dictates? Battery out and in warm house? One of those charger/minder battery units? Any kind of lube on the parts that rust? - on my bike that includes chrome fender parts. Leave it as is and start a couple times a month and maybe take tiny little rides on warm clear days?

I'm in western massachusetts and am comfortable riding down to about 40 degrees with some sun and 45 without sun. Does anyone have a creative way to get my wife to see the beauty of having my RE in the living room for the winter?

thanks

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
  • All I ever wanted was a world without maps...
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 11:57:48 pm
I think this is a valid question. Even though I live in the Midwest and the winters aren't nearly as bad as up north, we still get some nasty winter weather here and I'm curious as to the best way to handle it with the new RE.
The Thousand and One Tales of Indiana Josh

2008 Military Iron

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 01:34:28 am
What are folks in the north doing to their bikes in the winter? Full gas tank with stabilizer? Empty gas tank with the inside coated with some kind of rust protection? Change fluids in fall or spring? Or not at all until mileage dictates? Battery out and in warm house? One of those charger/minder battery units? Any kind of lube on the parts that rust? - on my bike that includes chrome fender parts. Leave it as is and start a couple times a month and maybe take tiny little rides on warm clear days?

I'm in western massachusetts and am comfortable riding down to about 40 degrees with some sun and 45 without sun. Does anyone have a creative way to get my wife to see the beauty of having my RE in the living room for the winter?

thanks

If you have guns around DON'T just put in the living room and announce that it's there to stay. Sorry about your other questions. I live in the South. 8)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 03:53:25 am
My cousin keeps his Harley in the living room, no joke.    Good guy also.

Also, you need a gun in every room,  just for GP...   ;)
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

webnash

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 12:07:47 pm
I'm thinking that perhaps with a table cloth on it, she won't notice. I should have put it inside last night, I woke up with a coat of ice and snow on it this morning.

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
  • All I ever wanted was a world without maps...
Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 02:16:59 pm
I should have put it inside last night, I woke up with a coat of ice and snow on it this morning.

Ditto. Almost. Bike had a nice, thick, healthy sheet of frost covering everything.  Is it bad for the bike to always get frost on it at night? Are there ways to avoid this?
The Thousand and One Tales of Indiana Josh

2008 Military Iron

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 04:21:13 pm
A fifteen dollar wallyworld bike cover.

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 04:27:08 pm
-Full tank of gas with StaBil added.
-Fresh oil
-Battery Tender

Stored in a nice 12 x 17 wooden shed under an old cotton bed sheet. I stored my Guzzi in the same way, same shed for years and years. Always came out fresh as a daisy each April.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 09:21:21 pm
I hate winter.....need i say more....augh
Oh Magoo you done it again

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 12:09:01 pm
Winter Is when I do most of my riding. 100 + F is no fun.
So the moral must be, we humans are never satisfied.  :D

webnash

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 11:27:07 pm
are the tenders worth having - as opposed to throwing it on a regular charger once a month or so?

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 11:59:14 pm
are the tenders worth having - as opposed to throwing it on a regular charger once a month or so?

I think so because the tender will keep the battery at a full charge all the time.  If the battery runs down and then is charged I believe that is harder on it and shortens its life.
I have a Battery Tender on both of my bikes, the '01 W650 still has its original sealed battery and the Bullet's battery is a conventional one from '06.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 07:45:05 pm

Phil, you guys down South are makin' me sick, ya know?

Think of me in NJ up to my a** in snow when you're out ridin' sometime around the middle of February. ;)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 12:12:48 pm

Phil, you guys down South are makin' me sick, ya know?

Think of me in NJ up to my a** in snow when you're out ridin' sometime around the middle of February. ;)

I'll do that Paul.
On one of my trips to Colorado in the Winter I saw some bikes in the mountains, on snow covered roads, just as if it were summer.
It's not bad in the Rockies as long as it's not a blizzard. But that does you little good along the Right Coast.  :( I know you guys have it pretty rough in both winter and summer. Not  quite as hot there as here, but when I was up your way the humidity took your breath. At leas down here, as it heats up the humidity falls off.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 12:16:29 pm by PhilJ »

AJY

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 03:57:37 am
I'll jump in here.  I keep my bikes in the garage if that is possible;e for you others.  Full gas, petcock open and start them once a month.  and try to ride them once a month even if it is just around the block.  I remember when my brother and I would go for a put every Xmas day high sun late noon, snow ok if plowed, but we were young and dangerous.  Now I just go in the garage and stare for a while and start it up.   

Some thing about bikes they can do that to you.  Just look at them for a while thinking about the next thing you want or , how good they look at certain angles, or just how nice the machinery is, LIKE A HOT DANCER AFTER A COUPLE OF Scotches,  you just feel like throwing some money at them.
two wheels are beter then one