Author Topic: Completed first oil & filter change...what about the heads?  (Read 2068 times)

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
  • All I ever wanted was a world without maps...
Just finished changing the oil and the oil filter, which was surprisingly simple. I actually feel really good about having been able to do it on my own with such ease, coming from a zero-mechanical-experience background. Took about half an hour when all was said and done.  There were three screws on the bottom, and the first two had screens -- those were the ones I pulled and drained. I didn't touch the third screw at the very back. Was this correct?

What's left to do on the "first service and maintenance" check list?  I don't have a torque wrench to do anything with the heads, and don't really know the first thing about it anyways. I'll probably end up taking the bike to the closest dealer and having them do an inspection of everything.   

I noticed that I have quite a bit of leakage all over the engine...does this mean the heads DO need to be retorqued?  And is there anything else I need to do for the first servicing that I might be able to do on my own?

The Thousand and One Tales of Indiana Josh

2008 Military Iron

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 11:03:46 pm
The third one that you didn't remove is the one that empties  the main oil tank. That's the one you should do first, and the other two to make sure the screens are not clogged with debris.

As for your oil leaks, clean them off and apply baby or talc powder, ride and observe where the leaks are really coming from. It may not be as bad as you think.

As for the head torque, if you don't have a torque wrench take it to the dealer and ask if you can watch the procedure. Then you'll know. It's not hard if you know what to expect.

Phil

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:05:59 pm by PhilJ »

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 11:18:46 pm
The third one that you didn't remove is the one that empties  the main oil tank. That's the one you should do first, and the other two to make sure the screens are not clogged with debris.

Crap.

So...I never even bothered with that back one, because I thought I remembered reading or hearing somewhere that it wasn't needed. Do I need to redo the whole thing again? I just drained the two with the screens, then replaced the oil filter, then filled the bike back up with oil.  Did I mess the job up, or do you think it's still alright?

2008 Military Iron

Elk Grove Don

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 12:08:53 am
When you pulled the first two screws with the screens how much oil came out?  It should of been only a couple of teaspoons, the one without the screen should of release all of the oil.  Don't forget, start up the engine first, it doesn't have to run long, shut it off then pull all of the drain screws.  Like I said before measure all of the oil that comes out (if you liked what was on the dip stick after the little warm up) replace with the like amount.  If you've got oil all over the engine you've put in too much and it's pumping it into the oil breather which goes to the air filter,(follow the hose from the crankcase).  Open the air filter box with the key, if you have oil in there you have over filled the engine. No big deal, just messy, drain some out (which is impossible to do with out the mess), did you check the dip stick after the oil change?  You'll get the hang of it.
Don

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 12:28:59 am
When I pulled the first screw farthest up to the right, only a few drips came out. Not much at all.  When I pulled the middle screw with the screen, oil POURED out. It was about a quart of oil.  I then cleaned everything up, soaked the new oil filter in clean oil, put everything back together, then filled it back up with another quart or so of new oil, and it's measuring just below the halfway point on the dipstick, so it's about where it needs to be.

Do you think I should redo it all though, since I didn't drain that screw at the very back, or do you think it seems like I got everything done okay?

2008 Military Iron

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 01:41:36 am
IJ,

How many miles on the oil before your service. I really doubt it would hurt running it as is till the next service. A couple thousand miles shouldn't matter. Most oils are so good now many think you can wait longer. I your screens didn't have any fillings, more to the point almost clogged, you should be good to go.

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 03:31:45 am
   Thats odd. When I changed oil and filter on my 2007 Classic iron head at 1000 miles, I got almost nothing out of the two drain plugs with screens (the front two). Got a lot out of the rear most drain plug. Whats been others experience here? I didn't drain the timing chest area due to others having a hell of a time with leaks there. I'm also very happy that my bike seems to use about zero oil. Meaning, I changed oil & filter at 1000 miles, and I'm at about 1850 miles, and the level is almost exactly the same as at 1000 miles-have not needed to add any oil.

Jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 04:28:15 am
Josh,
You will be OK without pulling that back plug but next time it should be the first one you pull.  You might want to think about starting to post in the Classic Bullet section of the forum.  It could cause some confusion if people think you have an AVL engine.
Leonard
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 05:04:50 am
Josh,
You will be OK without pulling that back plug but next time it should be the first one you pull.  You might want to think about starting to post in the Classic Bullet section of the forum.  It could cause some confusion if people think you have an AVL engine.
Leonard

Actually, that's a grand idea, Leonard. In fact, the only reason I began posting in this forum in the first place was because I always assumed I had the AVL in my '08. Now that it's been brought to my attention that it's the iron, posting in the Classic section makes more sense. I'm sure I would definitely avoid confusion that way.

2008 Military Iron