Author Topic: Reply/Post Format  (Read 5164 times)

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
on: July 13, 2007, 01:01:13 pm
I find that the reply/post section, while loaded with features, is difficult to use.  It inserts hyper text (is that the right word?) instead of the actual feature(at least on my computer).  Example:  for bold text you get hyper text symbols at either end of the text rather than being able to see the bold text itself until it is actually posted.

Kevin's frequent input is very enjoyable.  Thanks for starting this forum.

Leonard
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 01:04:58 pm by Leonard »
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 03:35:31 pm
Leonard,
Each HTML editor has it's own strengths and weaknesses. In a perfect world we'd all be able to type in HTML as fast as we can type, but that is unlikely. Actually seeing the HTML code put me off a little at first also, but I am used to it now. Thanks for the input.
Kevin
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

deejay

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 05:48:23 pm
Some people (such as myself) who are web designers, actually welcome seeing the html. ;D

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 05:51:34 pm
OK guys, I'll work on it.

Leonard
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 05:53:15 pm by Leonard »
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

rpnix

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 06:51:18 pm
You see the mark-up while entering a message because the page is static. When you click on Preview, you'll see what your mark-up has done.

For it to work any other way would mean loading a program down with the page (Javascript or some other entity) to dynamically format what you type. Many people run their browsers with this type of scripting turned off, to avoid the evils that may accompany such code, so implementing such a feature would reduce the number of people that could be easily reached by the forum.

It works as-is. I wouldn't change it. To do so is to tempt people who write viruses and such to add their own bits and pieces, and make the forum un-usable at best, and actually dangerous at worst.

If you don't like the mark-up.... Just type plain text. It will look the same as you enter it and as others view it.
--
Bob Nix -- '06 Ural Tourist, '07 Royal Enfield Electra
Bob Nix -- '06 Ural Tourist, '07 Royal Enfield Electra  <-- Click on the bike to see photos!

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 03:09:13 am
Holy Cow....speak bikes please.   This gobbletgook is for comp folks who think like that.  I only speak bike talk...............but it was interesting, somewhat...........daveg

rpnix

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 02:22:34 pm
It's hard to do a "bike" answer to a "computer" question.

For the computer-challenged: Getting the web mark-up to dynamically work would be like loaning your bike engine to a friend for the day... It could be done, but it isn't really worth the effort involved.
Bob Nix -- '06 Ural Tourist, '07 Royal Enfield Electra  <-- Click on the bike to see photos!