Author Topic: 60's seat installation  (Read 11386 times)

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 10:58:38 pm
That is a neat looking install - thank you for showing it.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Trapper

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 05:11:56 pm
Sam-
Great picture -it says a thousand words to someone that is missing all the hardware! Could you measure the length of the seat springs and post it here? That would help even more.

Thanks!

Sam

• Uralist & now, Bulleteer!
  • Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 12:32:36 am
3" from upper spring perch to lower. The bracket seems flimsy, and the mounting is a little sloppy. If I were designing this from scratch I'd have the bracket "boxed" with a flat top piece, and move it a little closer to the frame rail, and tack a captive nut on the back so it'd use a stud to hold the lower spring attachment. But since I'm not, I'll wait 'till it breaks.

Nice piece, though.

[old attachment deleted by admin]
<Insert cryptic saying by obscure author here>

Sam

• Uralist & now, Bulleteer!
  • Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 02:45:10 am
this is what it looks like from behind. Rear turn signals not mounted yet for this photo; the lower ends of the mudguard supports are flattened and drilled for the turn signal stems; holes are barely visible. you can see the damage from the pillion coming off; gotta have those retaining bolts! It took the better part of a morning to get the mudguard supports to fit right (bending the fender brackets to fit mostly. I had to weld a piece on to one of them; I just wasn't going to drill new fender holes!)

That's a stock HD license plate mount; very olde fashioned, up and down, has a little clamp on the top of the plate as well. They're commonly available as take-offs, and can be had for about $20 in chrome (hint to importer...) I believe it fits the looks of the bike better than the laydown mounts, at least with this seat, and is more substantial than the little basic mount. The laydown would look killer with the Continental seat.

I must say, this seat was a good deal, at least in terms of entertainment value. In the Harley world, this would be enough for a TV series.

[old attachment deleted by admin]
<Insert cryptic saying by obscure author here>

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 05:44:16 am
I really like the look of that set up.. Shame me and money are not in the same place right now.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA