Author Topic: Optimal Cruising Speed at Each Gear  (Read 1449 times)

uspickle

• Scooter
on: October 21, 2008, 07:21:24 pm
First I just want to thank everyone who replied to my previous postings. I have since purchased an '09 Military and couldn't be happier. Thanks!

I am a beginner rider and just finished the Ohio beginner's course. I have been cruising around on my bike (40 miles on the odometer) and have been changing gears based on feel. All seems fine but when in 3rd gear the bike putts a bit until I give it some throttle - pretty standard I believe. I have not gotten into 4th gear yet. So my question is this; what are the optimal cruising speeds in each gear? 1st gear seems to  just want to get you into 2nd and 17mph feels smooth in 2nd. But at what mph could I sustain 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th gear for a nice, smooth cruise? Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 07:36:06 pm
OK, the answers may vary. I didn't even know the '09 was out yet, so that will most likely be an AVL you have.

On my '08 AVL I also started shifting by the seat of my pants. After a bit I got curious and found I was shifting at 10-15 into second, 20 into 3rd, 30 into 4th and 40 into 5th. While it's new I would think that for a sustained speed in any of the gears 25 in 3rd, 35 in 4th, and 5th 45 to 50 with variations while it's new. I wouldn't run it sustained in any gear during this break in period.

With a bike like these and the torque it has there's really no need to wind it out.... Unless your scared.  ;)