Author Topic: Rusty chrome  (Read 6265 times)

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
on: August 21, 2007, 09:31:25 pm
What is the best way to clean up the chrome - I had to leave the bike in the rain for two days, and the chrome started to get rust marks on it.  I thought wire wool, then figured that would take the shine off the chrome.  What is the recommended way to do it?
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

deejay

Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 09:42:51 pm
elbow grease and simichrome

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 09:54:32 pm
Got plenty of elbow grease, what is simichrome, where d'ya get it at?? 
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 01:26:47 am
I like Never-Dull for the chrome. It is cotton wadding impregnated with solvent and silacone.
Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

deejay

Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 01:51:28 am
Got plenty of elbow grease, what is simichrome, where d'ya get it at?? 

you can get it at most large motorcycle shops...

http://www.amazon.com/Simichrome-Metal-Polish-Restorers/dp/B0006ZN9TS

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 01:53:27 am
Thank you, I will get some. It did not take long for the handlebars to get rust on them. 
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 02:51:17 am
this stuff is super and I have tried/used just about everything.. my garage could be classified as a chemical waste dump area ::)

http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/worlds-easiest-metal-polish-shine-shine-shine-p-410.html

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 07:54:15 pm
What is the best way to clean up the chrome - I had to leave the bike in the rain for two days, and the chrome started to get rust marks on it.  I thought wire wool, then figured that would take the shine off the chrome.  What is the recommended way to do it?
A little "00" steel wool and simichrome for the hard stuff. Followed up by Eagle One, or a similar brand of cotton wadding and a good buffing. It will look like new. Works on aluminium also......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 10:16:07 pm
Maybe this would be a good excuse,, err ,, reason to get one of those electric machines with all the different tips, for cutting, sanding, grinding & buffing. I got one a coule of years ago & have found tons of uses for it. They( well , mine did anyway) come with a cotton buffing wheel & some different grades of abrasive, but I used SimniChrome with mine & it works well. Finally! Dremel, that's the name of it. I have a clone by Hobby Shop, got it at Big Lots for about $40.00. If you buy one of these things, make sure you install & check each collet for being drilled on center before ya lose the receipt or before the warranty expires. I have one that wobbles badly. The rest of it works very well.

deejay

Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 02:09:45 am
a dremel, yeah i use mine for buffing some parts