Author Topic: Headlight on at idle?  (Read 6794 times)

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
on: August 13, 2019, 12:52:33 pm
a dumb question: does your headlight stay on at idle? I lost my high beam on my 1,000 mile ride and went to the lo for the ride remainder. I keep mine on all the time. I have a strong relatively new battery, a Duracell, and the headlight seems a little "unsteady" as the revs build. I also lost one of my eyebrow lights. I have around 5,000 miles if that is relevant. I don't ride at night so never really noticed the headlight function and would not have noticed it was out if my riding buddy had not pointed it out. And how does one change the eyebrow bulbs? Thanks for all replies.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 12:58:16 pm
Time for a new bulb.
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 01:38:40 pm
I've replaced the factory headlamp on my C5 with a glass sealed beam headlamp which has proven very reliable.  I have not had a need to replace it in near 10,000 miles and the lighting itself is steady.  It does not change with the RPMs.  As for the the small tiger's eye lamps, those things were blowing out all the time, presumably from vibration.  The solution was to replace them with small LED bulbs and I haven't had a problem since.  To replace these bulbs you just need to remove the one small screw that secures the metal bezel around the lens.  The lens itself is held in place within a rubber cup.  Carefully remove the lens and you will then have access to the bulb. This is all a very simple procedure. I'm sure there are a number of videos already on YouTube to walk you through it. Good luck.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 01:54:34 pm
My B5 has a sealed-beam headlight that was having trouble turning on its high beam at times.  Cleaning the bulb contacts and their connecting wires solved that problem. As Mad4Bullets mentions, replacing the tiger eye bulbs is quite easy. The hardest part is pulling the bulb out of its housing with your fingers.  I visited the local O'Reilly auto parts store and picked up some slightly larger incandescent replacement bulbs.  I used those bulbs instead of the LED bulbs that are sold on Amazon just because the LEDs are very much brighter than the stock bulbs and I didn't want the tiger eyes to be that bright.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 02:23:42 pm
Most important is to be very careful putting that little bezel screw back in.  I think it cold be very easy to accidentally cross-thread it.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 03:14:32 pm
I used the ebay LED bulbs in my pilot lights. They are definitely brighter and more blue than the original. In fact they are bright enough to wheel the bike about at night without turning the main headlight on. They do however detract slightly from the overall "vintage" feel.

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 03:44:21 pm
I wanted to keep that vintage golden glow as well but I just got tired of constantly replacing the delicate incandescent bulbs. The LEDs are certainly brighter and whiter but not obnoxiously so. I certainly don't miss needing to replace them ever couple hundred miles. It's always a balance.

Frogman8

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 09:26:42 pm
Hi 9Fingers
While you're at it, its a good idea to also remove that little wiring connector in the headlamp so your headlamp doesnt always stay on. There is a video on Youtube from SinghG5 about that. That allows you to switch the headlamp off esp when starting so its not draining the battery even further.
I had a nice LED harness with extra bright LEDs from an Indian ebay seller for about 15 bucks. We need all the additional illumination we can get, esp in congested NJ.
2011 G5: The 'new' 'Toofan' Mail. Thunderous name.. pedestrian pace
2008 Iron Barrel: Sold in a moment of madness
2001 Triumph Legend 900
2013 Kawasaki KLX 250, will ride someday
1991 Honda Nighthawk: Sold...Incredibly boring
1982 Honda Magna V45: Hmm
1988 Jawa/ Yezdi 350 twin: Many miles, more stor

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 09:37:48 pm
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 09:56:04 pm
GHG actually offered to make the headlight switch functional when he was doing my engine mods and I declined as I don't want to forget to turn it on. The Duracell has lots of cranking power, even after multiple starts in succession. The headlight right now is a Sylvania Halogen unit from the local auto parts store, and it was quite bright for the 3,000 miles it lasted. I will check the connections before heading out to buy another. I will probably stick with standard bulbs for the eyebrows as I don't want any reflections from the flyscreen, which partially obscures them.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 10:41:22 pm
My B5 once lost low beam due to dirty contacts in the HI - LOW rocker switch , a little grease from the mechanism had spread to the low contacts.
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 11:41:51 pm
Not sure about the UCE setup...Hell, I'm not even 100% clued in on my own "Iron Belly's" layout...but I do know that my 2005's has some cockamamie dual DC and AC rigging whereby the headlamp operates directly off the alternator and hence only when the motor is running, and not off the battery. Accordingly, I have noticed that its old halogen bulb dims just a bit when at idle, perking up once the revs do. My guess is that an LED headlamp bulb might shine more steadily, but rarely ride at night, so haven't yet bothered to swap it.

I also removed that mandated "dogbone connecter" in the headlamp shell overriding the switchery that once kept my lights always-on, so my lighting switch on the handlebar now works as it should--Just because having a "nuttin' button" there bugged me. Somehow, I manage not to forget the lights, though it matters little towards juice conservation's sake now that I've yanked out that flakey starter sprag rigamarole and gone kickstart only, as the Lord and Redditch intended.

One bit of advice: if you're still using replaceable halogen or other incandescent bulbs in a non-sealed beam shell, do try not to touch the bulb itself with bare fingers. The oils, decades of cheetos dust, and so forth from your fingers will greatly hasten its burning out. Hold it with a kleenex or similar. And if you DO touch that bulb (and come on, you know  you will), then just wipe it clean with a bit of isopropyl alcohol.   
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:10:22 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

mike_bike_kite

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 05:19:23 pm
I wanted to keep that vintage golden glow as well but I just got tired of constantly replacing the delicate incandescent bulbs. The LEDs are certainly brighter and whiter but not obnoxiously so. I certainly don't miss needing to replace them ever couple hundred miles. It's always a balance.
I replaced my tiger bulbs with LED and felt the same. I wondered about getting softer glow LEDs and trying these but haven't done it yet. If I ever feel brave enough then I'll replace the indicator warning light (and probably the neutral light) in my dash with LEDs also.
2018 C5 Pegasus + NC750X + Vespa GT + Vespa GTS

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 05:51:39 pm
I put in new tiger eyes from Super bright LED and now my windshield glows in the dark!  :P
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 01:48:42 am
Lost the lowbeam now also so bought a new sealed Halogen Sylvania unit from the auto parts store for $16. Will make sure that solves the issue tomorrow and check the tiger eye light to see if a dirty contact or if that needs a new bulb as well, and will stick with incandescent. It is partially obscured by the flyscreen anyway. BTW, the guy at Advance Auto told me that truck stops sell a more robust version of the 7' bulb, that resists vibration better. I will check out next time I am at a truck stop.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350