Poll

What will the MSRP be set at for the USA version of the Bullet Classic?

Less than $6,000
12 (44.4%)
$6,000 to $6,500
8 (29.6%)
$6501 to $7000
2 (7.4%)
$7001 to $7500
4 (14.8%)
More than $7500
1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: November 05, 2008, 02:31:15 am

Author Topic: MSRP for the USA version of the Bullet Classic?  (Read 15515 times)

RAKe

• You'll Never See a Motorcycle Parked In Front of a Therapist's Office
  • Bulleteer
Reply #30 on: October 26, 2008, 03:51:32 am
For those readers debating between a new RE and a "similarly priced" Harley-Davidson, I have some advice for you.  Regarding the professor's earlier post, he claims that "(t)he Sportster 883Low is priced at $6900 MSRP on the HD USA website".  I want everybody to be aware of Harley-Davidson's pricing tactics.  That Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price is a farce, and does not include a number of costs that are fundamental to the purchase of a new vehicle, most notably what might be termed "dealer markup" (which is $1000 minimum on a Harley-Davidson), together with tax, tag, and title for the state in which you live.  And I can assure you those costs add up.  In  order to make their pricing SEEM more competitive, Harley dealers do not include ANY additional costs as part of the MSRP, and a customer can easily expect to pay $9000 or better for a "$6999" motorcycle.  For those debating between an RE and a Harley, be prepared for those added charges.  I speak from experience--twice!!

And do not forget $75 an hour for labor at a Harley dealership--for my money they should move much faster!!  And for those of us that prefer to do our own maintenance and repair, special tools are also frequently recommended for maintenance on a Harley.  Many of the costs of Harley ownership are hidden, but expensive!!  I desperately need the new UCE to become available in the States.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 04:21:32 am by RAKe »
196? Triumph 500 (basket case), 1968 BSA 650 (ran, but needed work), 1976 Triumph T140V 750 (ran well -- sometimes), 2004 Harley-Davidson XL883C, 2007 Harley-Davidson FXDB

prof_stack

Reply #31 on: October 26, 2008, 05:02:45 am
Good post, RAKe.  The HD $6900 price does not include freight/setup in most cases.  That is also true of RE and most other marquees.  But HD has been hurting lately and they are most likely pretty willing to work with interested (but not too interested) buyers.  I had 4 HD/Buell products in my garage for 22 years so I have a little experience with them.

I have heard that the Sportsters are selling well right now, as people who "have" to have a Harley are saving their money and not buying the big twin.  So HD will try to keep the price as high as possible.  But the week between Dec 25 and Dec 31 is often a great time to get a great deal.

I'm still waiting for the photos of the REAL Bullet Classic coming sometime in 2009.  Besides the muffler, I wonder if anything else will be different.

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: October 26, 2008, 06:40:51 am
    I can tell you that the dealership I work at (HD/Buell) would have an off season sale on the XL883 and sell them with no freight and setup fees, usually at $5999.00, and this would be in the winter time, and often to make way for the following years bikes. Peak season, your not going to get these breaks. Most dealers,Japanese and any makes, put on freight and setup fees, and these can vary wildly in the amounts.Somet will waive these fees in the cold months when motorcycles don't sell well. Its not just Harley-Davidsons.

jon

Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: October 29, 2008, 08:52:51 pm
In all fairness to HD, their catalog does list the MSRP and the add-ons in the back with the bikes' specs.  The freight alone is pretty hefty although I don't know if it is an unusual amount or not.  Never had to ship a whole motorcycle before.