Poll

What will the MSRP be set at for the USA version of the Bullet Classic?

Less than $6,000
12 (44.4%)
$6,000 to $6,500
8 (29.6%)
$6501 to $7000
2 (7.4%)
$7001 to $7500
4 (14.8%)
More than $7500
1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: November 05, 2008, 02:31:15 am

Author Topic: MSRP for the USA version of the Bullet Classic?  (Read 15505 times)

prof_stack

on: October 15, 2008, 03:31:15 am
With some of the comments made about how the construction of the UCE was significantly higher than that of the iron or AVL motor, what do you think all that will do to the Bullet Classic MSRP?

Bath Bullet

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 09:43:56 am
Nothing, the price has been set, and if anything they could go higher as they become more unobtainable.
I heard a wisper that the UCE bullet is expected to be £3995 when it finally apears for sale in the U.K., thats a £1000 up on the old Iron Bullet, and about £300 up on the Electra X.
There were only about 20 new 500 Classics avaliable from the importers a few weeks ago, possibly all but gone now, but quite a few 350's and watching eBay prices the 500's seem to be holding up well on S/H sales, even gaining a bit, surprisingly as this is probably the worst time of year to try to sell second hand bikes of any description.
Best regards
Terry
BITING THE BULLET:  2001 500 CLASSIC living in Sunny Bat, Somerset
Also 2008 TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE 865 EFI

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 02:45:56 pm
I voted $6500-$7000.

I actually think it will be very close to $7k, something like $6995, or something like that.

Probably wind up around $7500 "out the door" with tax, title and tag.

That's my guess.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 04:20:35 pm
Well,  you can buy a baseline BMW for $7100.

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bike.jsp?b=f650gs

I hope the folks at RE decide to go for a lower price point and keep it reasonable.   If my RE cost more than $5500 I would not have bought it.  Unless the UCE performs as well as a modern bike (this includes highways) I can not really see justification for paying the equivalent price .   Also, the dollar has rebounded and that should help keep the price down.

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

David R

• Scooter
  • Bullet 65, BMW R75/5 Suzuki DR650
Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 06:33:55 pm
I too, hope that they will keep the price down, but I'm pretty excited about the bike. I hope that we get to see them here soon!

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 07:42:54 pm
I wonder if the Indian market will get a UCE Classic 350. If so that might help keep over all cost down .
 My bet is$ 6399.99 plus tax. But I hope its lower.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 12:25:01 am
I say less than 6k. Why would it cost more? The redesigned engine is obviously cheaper to build, out of conciderably less metal.  ( that's not me, I read that in their own press release ) That savings alone should offset the new expense of fuel injection. I also have to imagine that there are savings found elsewere, Like the disc brake, a rare occurrence when cheeper and better actually is. But most of the time just cheeper is what the managment  loves.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 12:38:59 pm
You may be right cyrusb, I certainly hope so. But It's not often that a company will develop a newer anything and not charge more.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 04:27:35 pm
O.K I'll give them 6500, but really, why would anyone buy that bike at that price. It has no redeeming qualities, just a 70's  clone with uncertain longevity, factory support(how far away is your dealer?) and quality. The classics gave you a reason to go out on that limb, the UCE don't.  You can get some really nice stuff for $6500. Time will tell.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 04:29:23 pm by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Jon

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 12:19:29 am
Short and simple answer is the bike will be worth what people are prepared to
pay for it.If you've decided not to like it you won't buy it at any price if you like it
then you'll stretch a bit.

RAKe

• You'll Never See a Motorcycle Parked In Front of a Therapist's Office
  • Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 11:59:39 am
I am an American who is now riding my last Harley-Davidson, as "The Company" has priced me out of the market.  Although I am waiting for the new UCE to come to the states, I have for years been considering a Triumph Bonneville, which is an extremely well-engineered product and is priced at nearby D&D Cycle at $6500-$7000.  How does Royal Enfield expect the new UCE to compete effectively in the same price range as such stiff competition?  Even at $6000, the added $500 would buy me another cylinder and proven record of performance and reliability.

Later I write to say that I have just learned that the cheapest Triumph Bonneville (Black) is $7299 MSRP, and the Triumph America (my choice) is $7999.  That does make an RE a more reasonable purchase.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 03:22:31 am by RAKe »
196? Triumph 500 (basket case), 1968 BSA 650 (ran, but needed work), 1976 Triumph T140V 750 (ran well -- sometimes), 2004 Harley-Davidson XL883C, 2007 Harley-Davidson FXDB

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 02:28:18 pm
I am an American who is now riding my last Harley-Davidson, as "The Company" has priced me out of the market.  Although I am waiting for the new UCE to come to the states, I have for years been considering a Triumph Bonneville, which is an extremely well-engineered product and is priced at nearby D&D Cycle at $6500-$7000.  How does Royal Enfield expect the new UCE to compete effectively in the same price range as such stiff competition?  Even at $6000, the added $500 would buy me another cylinder and proven record of performance and reliability.

This raises an excellent question, and it gives me a chance to say some good things about the new Bullet. I've been sort of tough on the new Bullet, but I think there are some good things about it too.

There's no doubt that the inevitable comparisons and competitions will be made with the UCE Bullet vs the Bonneville vs the Sportster 883 Hugger. They are going to be in similar price ranges.
Initially, the thought might be exactly as described above by Rake, where you could get "another cylinder" and "performance and reliability".

Ok, let's look at these things.
Another cylinder. Is that good or bad?
Well, we can start with the claim by RE that the UCE will do 70mph on the highway without trouble. If that is true, then it fulfills all the necessary things that the bike must do, and takes care of the highway concerns which have always been a concern to older Bullet owners. So, the highway riding is claimed to be solved.
Next, there's complexity in repair and maintenance. Twice as much with a twin. Plus the extra weight, which comes in at around 80 more pounds for the Bonnie and even more for the Sportster.
Then, there's fuel economy. The Bonnie and the Sportster 883 are both around the same displacement, nearly 900cc engines. This is going to definitely use more fuel than a 500cc single. In times of uncertain fuel prices, a more economical bike that can perform the necessary duties could be an advantage.
So, for the money spent, you could say you got a bike that does everything that the other bikes can legally do, and gets better gas mileage, is more nimble and easy to handle,lless complexity, and looks better(maybe).

For performance, the 27hp Bullet will be close enough to the Bonnie or the 883 Sporty, that it isn't going to be an issue for normal street riding. For racing, it would be a different story, but most don't by the RE to race it. So, for normal riding purposes, and even cruising with other bikers, it will be able to keep up fine. Heck, my 22hp old Bullet can keep up with Harleys just fine, as long as we're not on the Interstate.
For handling, it will  be more nimble and possibly better handling, or at least in the similar ballpark, and good enough to compete.
For brakes, it now has the disc front brake, and with the lightweight bike it should brake well enough to not be a concern for buyers.

As for reliability, we aren't sure about that yet. If the E-start works flawlessly, and the bike is really as improved as they want us to believe, then we should see modern bike reliability, except for maybe some vibration issues with bolts loosening up, or something like that.

So, a person could describe the UCE as a bike that has the necessary capabilities to provide all the normal road work that is within legal boundaries just fine, is lighter and more nimble, gets better gas mileage, and has a unique look that some/many may prefer.
All for a similar price as the others.

It all depends on how you look at it.
Not everyone considers bigger to be better, especially with gas prices being as volatile as they are today.
But, there is also no doubt that some will prefer the bigger bikes in a similar price category, so the competition will be there, and the makers are more famous than the RE is. The RE will be a niche market for those who want something a little more different
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 02:43:33 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 02:30:25 pm
Whatever they ask for it in the states, you can believe it will be half that in India, just like the Bullets. The riders in India can't believe how much we pay for them.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 03:16:40 pm
I pretty much agree with most of what Ace  said.
Another benefit might be that our dealers will actually take our "old" Bullets on trade - giving us a better than e-bay price;  raising the market value of our old ones and creating a used market for themselves...
               - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 03:50:27 pm
Hey RAKe, I bought my RE at D&D. I was looking at the basic Bonnie before buying the RE, but the more I thought about it, the more I leaned toward the RE. I often think about what it would have been like if I had bought the Bonnie. I do not believe I would have liked it as much. Much more expensive to assessorize, not as comfortable to sit on, only about 40 mpg (road test reports as little as 35). When I'm not riding the RE, I'm thinking about it. Never had that happen with any other bike before. After nearly 10,000 miles in the last year and a half, I'm still in love with the RE. The thought of spending my road time on a modern, smooth, over-engineered bike does not appeal to me. We ride for the viceral feel of motorcycling. The RE provides that at all speeds, and in all riding situations, never has a problem keeping up with other bikes, and garners a lot of attention where ever you go. Try to find that with any other machine.