Author Topic: need source for a new voltage regulator/rectifier unit  (Read 5679 times)

George Baker

• Scooter
Tried Fort Worth TX, they didn't have it and recommended I try England, so I tried Hitchcocks and they don't list one either.
Bike is 2006 Bullet ElectraX, any help would be appreciated.

GB        geo46er@yahoo.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 05:59:29 pm
I think any 12 volt, 3 phase motorcycle rectifier/regulator would work.  It will have 3 input wire connections for the wires from the alternator and a red and a black output wire.

Almost every modern motorcycle uses these but you might need to do a bit of changing on the wiring connectors to hook it up.

I wouldn't get a R/R from a small scooter or 100 cc motorcycle but something from a larger one should be more than capable of handling the wattage a RE alternator can put out.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

George Baker

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 08:18:48 pm
Hi Jim,   I bought a supposedly universal regulator/rectifier yesterday. I had to use the original wires and connectors. I thought I was all set, but unfortunately when I tested it I found the charging voltage to be 17VDC which I think would eventually cause battery problems. I hope someone can eventually steer me to an OEM unit

GB

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 11:07:53 pm
If the 17 vdc was the output without the charger connected to the battery, I think that is about the voltage to be expected.

A 12 volt battery needs the charging voltage to be at least 14.7 volts to become fully charged and without a battery connected to absorb the RR's output, the voltage will read higher.
Even with the battery connected, a charging voltage up to around 15.8 volts isn't uncommon for a motorcycle charging system.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 11:40:54 pm
Tried Fort Worth TX, they didn't have it and recommended I try England, so I tried Hitchcocks and they don't list one either.
Bike is 2006 Bullet ElectraX, any help would be appreciated.

Here's the one I bought. It's a Wassell WW10124W:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Wassell-Solid-State-Three-Phase-Rectifier-Regulator-Max-190W-WW10124W/232196675977?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l46252
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

George Baker

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 01:12:09 am
Hi Jim,
     That 17 volts was with battery connected.
Hi Tooseevee,
     Thanks for the link to the wassel unit. I'll report back if it works for me.

thanks,
GB

Mick Bailey

• Bulleteer

George Baker

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 12:54:47 pm
Hi Mick,
     Yes I had already read that thread. You didn't say where you got the YHC-054 unit. The OEM Suzuki item retails for about $170 usd. I have already tried one universal type, I will probably end up trying another.

GB

George Baker

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 04:44:02 pm
Greetings,
     I ordered the wassell unit that Tooseevee had provided the link for. Hooked it up yesterday and it works, nice healthy 14.3 VDC at the battery. Only problem was I had to hacksaw a little part off the corner in order for it to fit where the stock unit was mounted.

GB

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 06:21:24 pm
Greetings,
     I ordered the wassell unit that Tooseevee had provided the link for. Hooked it up yesterday and it works, nice healthy 14.3 VDC at the battery. Only problem was I had to hacksaw a little part off the corner in order for it to fit where the stock unit was mounted.

GB

Perfect. Now we can call you a Custom Parts Modifier :) :)

You have to be one with an RE.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

chuntera

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 04:44:46 pm
Apparently some years RE ran the headlight on AC current using two extra wires from the stator.
My digital multimeter doesn't give a reading for AC current off the headlamp on my '08 so I can't confirm.

This guy sells deluxe regulators: http://roadstercycle.com/
Recent model motorcycles with sensitive electronics use mofset regulators (ie. fuel injection, onboard computers, etc.). The mofset units are much larger.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 12:26:00 pm
Apparently some years RE ran the headlight on AC current using two extra wires from the stator

That was on the later iron barrel Bullets (they had a separate AC regulator for the headlight), NOT the 500 AVL models.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...