Author Topic: The '08 AVL Needs A Different Look  (Read 163 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • "What's He Building In There"?
Reply #15 on: September 12, 2019, 12:24:10 PM
Now of course you run into that little issue of our Indian friends' love of powder-coating the AVL heads and barrels.

After that, you can polish the edges of the fins.

A.

I wrinkle-blacked my barrel back when Ace was doing the head (2014?). That's not to say I would recommend wrinkle-blacking heads although it probably wouldn't hurt at all. It's just that there are tons of prep work involved before you sprayed otherwise it's a waste of time and effort.

The AVLs run pretty cool. I think doing the barrel is no danger. And it really is purty  :) :) :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 01:58:04 PM by tooseevee »
'08 Black AVL Classic.ACEhead 9.8:1/manifold/canister. TM32.Small open bottle/hot tube removed.Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed.Gr.TCI.Bobber seat.Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed.'30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #16 on: September 12, 2019, 01:15:09 PM
Sorry, but I can't see any difference?
Could you explain what you've done please?

Frank

Pretty sure he just uploaded two identical "Before" photos.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • "What's He Building In There"?
Reply #17 on: September 12, 2019, 07:12:00 PM
   Well, this A.M. pouring rain from very early. Now it's just greyyyyy :( :( :(

So. I brought the muffler up here on the coffee table where I can watch it for a while. The look is growing on me, I have to say that. Its saving grace is that it is Very black unlike flat paint that in the right light always shows a puff of "greyness" like vermouth in a martini - it shouldn't really be there, but usually is.

But it's still not "satin" as I think of a satin finish. Satin has a subtle inner "glow" that flat has not got  :)

I'll decide by the weekend (not saying which day).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 07:15:02 PM by tooseevee »
'08 Black AVL Classic.ACEhead 9.8:1/manifold/canister. TM32.Small open bottle/hot tube removed.Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed.Gr.TCI.Bobber seat.Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed.'30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.