Author Topic: UK number plate question?  (Read 4435 times)

Rege

• Scooter
on: July 20, 2019, 04:24:18 pm
Hi Guys and Gals,

I have recently purchased the UK number plate: RE65 CGT

With a bit of look you are reading Regs CGT - However my question is what year did the first mid 60s continental become available to buy and register by the public.

On google I am getting different answers ideally I would like it to be 1965 but I am seeing 64 pop up alot.

Thanks in advance

Rege   

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 12:56:06 am
Gordon G, May's book, "ROYAL ENFIELD- BY MILES THE BEST!" is a pictorial book showing each model of Royal Enfield sold bewteen 1930 and 1970.

The 250cc Continental shows up in 1963-1965 but this was not the Continental GT. It had low handlebars but the fuel tank and overall look was more like a regular road bike.

The Continental GT with its distinctive red fuel tank and racing seat appeared in 1965 and 1966.  By 1967 it was gone.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Rege

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 09:11:03 am
Hi Jim, thanks for the reply I guess I got a bargain then as this plate in my mind anyhow now is a cracker as we say here in the U.K.

Cost me around 700 USD all in.

Shame my bike is in the garage having that pesky oil seal replaced on the Kickstarter shaft!

Rege

Nasher

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 09:18:23 am
That means the registration on my 535 GT is a bit premature!

It's a 'B' suffix which would have been issued in 1964

It fools many people into thinking it is a 1964 bike

Cost me 140 uk pounds including transfer fee (170 usd)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 10:05:14 pm by Nasher »

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 10:54:48 am
Hi Jim, thanks for the reply I guess I got a bargain then as this plate in my mind anyhow now is a cracker as we say here in the U.K.

Cost me around 700 USD all in.

Is that US$700 - just for the plate?!?  :o  Is that a one-time fee?

All relative, I guess... where I live, we pay $21 each year to keep a current registration.  A "vanity" plate costs an extra $25 per year.  So over 15 years - a reasonable useful life of a motorcycle, I'd say - the costs are similar...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 01:59:09 pm

I believe the plate stays with the bike in the UK. Right?

Here in the U.S. the most important thing is that the State gets its sales tax EVERY time a vehicle is sold. Here in RI if the vehicle is sold 5 times in one year the state gets its 7.5% tax 5 times. Then you pay a property tax to your town every year on that vehicle.

When all is said and done and the final accounting is clear, we pay pretty close to 50% taxes on the money we make. A lot of it goes in things that most people don't even think of and don't seem to care. The other side of that coin is that totally unproductive people with practically no income can get huge tax refunds from things that are disguised with titles like the earned income tax credit which gives them refunds (actually a tax payer funded welfare check) that eclipse those that people with actual incomes who get up and slog off to work every day get.

What a country. And it costs us almost 4.5 Trillion a year (a huge amount of which just disappears down rat holes) to support this federal "government" whose two main jobs seem to be (1) getting reelected and (2) f ing the very people who get up and go to work every day and pay these f ing so-called "legislators' " salaries. And they amazingly seem to become multi-millionaires if they can get themselves reelected a few times. If they stay for 25 or 30 years as many of them do, it's guaranteed. Some of them can't even keep their place when reading their prepared statements in committee hearings. I have seen some come in on walkers.

I probably should delete this, but what the haitch?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Nasher

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 03:21:40 pm

All relative, I guess... where I live, we pay $21 each year to keep a current registration.  A "vanity" plate costs an extra $25 per year.  So over 15 years - a reasonable useful life of a motorcycle, I'd say - the costs are similar...

In the UK, once the plate has been purchased, it can be transferred to another vehicle for a 80 uk pound transfer fee

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 10:16:48 pm
          I believe the plate stays with the bike in the UK. Right?

Here in the U.S. the most important thing is that the State gets its sales tax EVERY time a vehicle is sold. Here in RI if the vehicle is sold 5 times in one year the state gets its 7.5% tax 5 times. Then you pay a property tax to your town every year on that vehicle.

When all is said and done and the final accounting is clear, we pay pretty close to 50% taxes on the money we make. A lot of it goes in things that most people don't even think of and don't seem to care. The other side of that coin is that totally unproductive people with practically no income can get huge tax refunds from things that are disguised with titles like the earned income tax credit which gives them refunds (actually a tax payer funded welfare check) that eclipse those that people with actual incomes who get up and slog off to work every day get.

What a country. And it costs us almost 4.5 Trillion a year (a huge amount of which just disappears down rat holes) to support this federal "government" whose two main jobs seem to be (1) getting reelected and (2) f ing the very people who get up and go to work every day and pay these f ing so-called "legislators' " salaries. And they amazingly seem to become multi-millionaires if they can get themselves reelected a few times. If they stay for 25 or 30 years as many of them do, it's guaranteed. Some of them can't even keep their place when reading their prepared statements in committee hearings. I have seen some come in on walkers.

I probably should delete this, but what the haitch?

It is the same thing in California, only more so.  Our state sales tax is 7.5%, but you have to add on another 2% or so for local taxes.  The license plate stays with the vehicle when it is sold to the new owner.  He gets hit with taxes and license fees when he goes to register the vehicle in his name at the DMV.  Plus, every year the vehicle owner has to pay a registration tax based upon 2% of the original cost of the vehicle, which drops 10% a year, no matter what the vehicle is worth at the time.  Add to that about $145 in "fees" every year, which never drop, even when the vehicle is 10 years old and no longer has any value in the eyes of the DMV. 

I have a friend who owns 23 motorcycles, a truck, a Jeep, a boat and an airplane.  He must really get hosed every year.   >:(
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 12:33:43 am
It is the same thing in California, only more so.  Our state sales tax is 7.5%, but you have to add on another 2% or so for local taxes.  The license plate stays with the vehicle when it is sold to the new owner.  He gets hit with taxes and license fees when he goes to register the vehicle in his name at the DMV.  Plus, every year the vehicle owner has to pay a registration tax based upon 2% of the original cost of the vehicle, which drops 10% a year, no matter what the vehicle is worth at the time.  Add to that about $145 in "fees" every year, which never drop, even when the vehicle is 10 years old and no longer has any value in the eyes of the DMV. 

I have a friend who owns 23 motorcycles, a truck, a Jeep, a boat and an airplane.  He must really get hosed every year.   >:(

Aaaaand (you lucky bastards) the so-called "gasoline" they must by law formulate in Kalifornia is even worse than the crap we have here in RI.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 06:44:45 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Rege

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 01:29:12 pm
That means the registration on my 535 GT is a bit premature!

It's a 'B' suffix which would have been issued in 1964

It fools many people into thinking it is a 1964 bike

Cost me 140 uk pounds including transfer fee (170 usd)

Hi Nasher, sorry for the late reply, what is your registration and can anyone suggest pointing me in the right direction to getting a better looking plate??? The EU one is awful!

Nasher

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 08:22:19 am
PM sent