Author Topic: Harley throws in the manufacturing in US towel  (Read 3093 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
on: July 12, 2019, 01:49:28 pm
Although Harley has been manufacturing in India (thank you unfair import duties to India) for a while they're now going to China.
On one hand it is good for them to finally wake up with a product that might actually sell in Asia, but they have also completely thrown in the towel as far as being a US company. Harley sales have been dropping for quite a while with no change in sight. My view is that they are swirling the drain. IMHO next will be a management shakeup, then someone else will buy the company at a bargain price or they will go into bankruptcy and then someone will buy them at a fire sale. I follow their stockholders news releases and they are in big trouble.
https://www.retailnews.asia/most-affordable-harley-davidson-will-be-a-338-cc-motorcycle/
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 01:54:57 pm
Although Harley has been manufacturing in India (thank you unfair import duties to India) for a while they're now going to China.
On one hand it is good for them to finally wake up with a product that might actually sell in Asia, but they have also completely thrown in the towel as far as being a US company. Harley sales have been dropping for quite a while with no change in sight. My view is that they are swirling the drain. IMHO next will be a management shakeup, then someone else will buy the company at a bargain price or they will go into bankruptcy and then someone will buy them at a fire sale. I follow their stockholders news releases and they are in big trouble.
https://www.retailnews.asia/most-affordable-harley-davidson-will-be-a-338-cc-motorcycle/

And then a Chinese company, probably one owned by the military, will end up building H-D brand motorcycles and selling them in the U.S.  ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 02:09:07 pm
Or, if you don't like their cheap Chinese bike, you could spend $30K (to start) on their new electric model:
https://electricmotorcycles.news/harley-davidson-livewire-update/
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 11:13:26 pm
It is a sad state of affairs.  Are any of the Triumphs made in the UK? Or are they built in Thailand?

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 01:09:26 am
It is a sad state of affairs.  Are any of the Triumphs made in the UK? Or are they built in Thailand?

Last I read, 80 percent of Triumphs are now made in several factories near Bangkok. Taking a page from their book, I now hear tell of Royal Enfield exploring the possibility of factories in Thailand too.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 01:12:30 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 01:21:30 am
That's only one already built in China rebranded Benelli though. HD are surely not considering moving all production to China just because they need a small bike in their range. Thailand, probably....
Don't panic though. Manufacturing in the US will be back as soon as the govt reduces it to third world status.

Side note: why is the HD rider on the banner at the top of the linked story taking his inflatable sex doll for a ride? That's weird.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 11:18:18 am
Side note: why is the HD rider on the banner at the top of the linked story taking his inflatable sex doll for a ride? That's weird.

C'mon now, don't judge!

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 12:23:32 pm
Or, if you don't like their cheap Chinese bike, you could spend $30K (to start) on their new electric model:
https://electricmotorcycles.news/harley-davidson-livewire-update/

The pictures that accompany this article bring back vague memories of Tron and Akira. The whole motorcycle thing I grew up with has changed
and IS changing at an exponential rate.

The only saving grace is that there is STILL a bunch (although fewer) of garage builders alive and well out there who try to keep it real and help immunize each other against the hype (and bullshit and government overreach, State and Federal) that's overwhelming out there now and getting worse by the day.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 12:40:03 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 12:47:24 pm
C'mon now, don't judge!

;D 10 out of 10 for style, but that pic on a supposedly serious news website lol. Someone needs to pay attention before they choose an image!
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 02:29:32 pm
;D 10 out of 10 for style, but that pic on a supposedly serious news website lol. Someone needs to pay attention before they choose an image!

I am STILL (since the 12th) trying to figure out just what the hell was in the mind of the "committee" that decided on running that picture. What the hell WAS its motive?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 02:45:00 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.