Author Topic: 2019 Himalayan stalls whenever throttle is released completely, post mishap  (Read 18955 times)

linearB

• Scooter
after I had a stall that would not immediately come back to life, I stopped riding. The bike is at the dealer now and they are working w/Enfield warranty.

So far they don't see any reason to think my little slip in the mud is related to any of what's going on. They can hear a "tick" in the engine and the compression is low, but as of the last time I talked to them, it was unclear if there was a valve issue or something leading to low compression leading to a "tick", or, more worryingly, something wrong in the block. It doesn't sound like it's going to be an instant process because they have to work with Enfield Corporate as they proceed; on the other hand I'm tied up with work stuff for 2 weeks anyway, so I made it pretty clear they can keep me pretty happy if they have a safe and working bike for me at that point.

Dalmatian man

• Bulleteer
It's always good to get a update on how things are coming along, I have heard of one instance of a exhaust valver sticking  on these engines. Hope all goes well.
33cc cyclemaster
James Cadet
James Comodore
Honda C50
Suzuki Gn250
BMW 650
Honda Hornet 600
BMW R1100RS
Royal Enfield C5 2014
BMW G310R

linearB

• Scooter
if they tell me the warranty repair involves cracking the block open and messing around I am going to push hard for a new block, I don't want a basically refurb'd block on a bike w/800 miles on it.

We'll see.

linearB

• Scooter
well, they're replacing my f'ing cylinder head. low pressure at intake, they say

Dalmatian man

• Bulleteer
Seems to me  like they are doing the right thing, you will probably find bike rides much better once complete.
33cc cyclemaster
James Cadet
James Comodore
Honda C50
Suzuki Gn250
BMW 650
Honda Hornet 600
BMW R1100RS
Royal Enfield C5 2014
BMW G310R

linearB

• Scooter
Okay, some updates -- this was a little disturbing, but hats off to the dealer for how they are handling it.

I got the bike back, new cylinder head assembly, $0. I rode 30 miles up into the mountains at 25-50mph with no issues. The next day, I went to a doctor's appointment. I topped off my gas, and then headed home a different way that involves a faster road.

After ~5 miles at 50-60 in 5th, the bike straight died. Battery light, total power loss, and suddenly I am just coasting in traffic. I'd been riding like I wasn't sure the bike was sound, which probably kept this from being very scary or potentially worse.

The bike would NOT fire back up. After a few minute wait, it did, but would not idle at ALL, died instantly when not throttled -- so I gimped it as close to town as I could before it just totally died, then stashed it in the driveway of a friendly but extremely suspicious woman, and actually hitchhiked back to town, my first time trying to thumb it in ~20 years.

I had a bunch of back and forth with the dealer. Basically, at this point, they are going to have to do MORE invasive stuff to the bike, and I don't want a bike that's been this chopped up at 800 miles. Also, after that last fail, I just can't imagine ever really feeling "safe" on this unit, I feel like there's some deeper problems with it.

The dealer was very understanding of my point of view. If I was trying to get full cash back, it might be a slight battle, but it sounded like they were willing to cash me out at pretty close to that. But, really what I want, is a bike that works, and not to be towing it back and forth all the time. After talking to corporate, the dealership offered to give me a brand new (different) 2019 Himalayan for $0, and also to drive and meet me half way so that it's less of a chore for me.

I think that's a very reasonable offer, so that's what I am doing. For the moment I believe the dealer when he says he's sold a bunch of these, and aside from people dropping them at speed, mine is the first one that's had any weird bullshit around it. So, if I really just got unlucky, then bike #2 should be solid and off I go.

Fingers crossed....

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Good luck with no. 2!  8)
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

linearB

• Scooter
I am all set to swap this for #2 next Monday. I'm getting white this time (my request); also, the one I had did NOT have ABS -- the one they're giving me does. I'm not sure if I actually want that on mostly dirt, but, it is what it is and I don't ride very fast or crazy.

linearB

• Scooter

Here we are with #2. Some immediate thoughts:

* Hima #1, right out of the gate, had a tendency to stall in N right after ignition, warming up. I probably should have thought harder about that; this bike so far exhibits no such behavior
* the actual power level in #2 is different and better, which I think is a bigger flag something was out of spec on that other bike. Specifically, there is a small dirt hill that I just climbed in 4th with absolutely no problem; the other bike would refuse to do that and I was often shifting down into 2nd on that hill, not even 3rd.
* I might actually like the ABS. The non ABS model, if you hit the back brake it was essentially insta-lock and on dirt would just start to slide out immediately. The CRCRCRCRCR action of the ABS will take some getting used to, and I am not pushing anything about this bike "to the limit" until I'm +1500 miles on it, but I feel marginally less sketchy about stopping fast on hardpacked dirt roads. Actual offroad may be a different story, but that's also a story that'll likely involve a different bike.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
I don't think it was a "pressure build up".  It was a vacuum that was caused by a valve in the fuel tank vent system that wasn't letting in air as the fuel was being used.  It might also have been something as simple as a plastic wrapper or something plugging the air inlet for the purge tank/carbon filter.

The fact that Royal Enfield is replacing your motorcycle for such a simple problem is good for you but it sends an alarm to me.  If they can't figure out a simple problem like this, what's going to happen when a real problem comes up?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Clearly the evap system can't handle the pressure build up and the fuel pump fails.

It's not pressure build up. It's sucking against an unrelieved vacuum that's the problem. Simple physics. Simple solution: reestablish a vent to the atmosphere.

Or get rid of the whole thing.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
I don't think it was a "pressure build up".  It was a vacuum that was caused by a valve in the fuel tank vent system that wasn't letting in air as the fuel was being used.  It might also have been something as simple as a plastic wrapper or something plugging the air inlet for the purge tank/carbon filter.

The fact that Royal Enfield is replacing your motorcycle for such a simple problem is good for you but it sends an alarm to me.  If they can't figure out a simple problem like this, what's going to happen when a real problem comes up?

Woops :-[ Shoulda read this first.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
I complained and RE is sending me a new bike - 400 miles and these problems? No thanks.

This sounds like it could be the makings of a great deal for someone on a very-low-mileage Himi...  ;D

TAG_Foto

• Scooter
Thanks for the replies gents. Jim - I thought about this a lot last nite after the thing died again on my way home from work. I realized why I had no problems for the first 250 miles. I used my Rebel to go to work and rode the Enfield on the weekend. In other words I rode the Himmi in low to no traffic. Once I began riding to work the problems started. It died on four occasions to date and I can pinpoint the precipitant if not the underlying cause. Here is the scenario: I get stuck in NYC traffic for about 5-10 minutes. Then I get clear of the traffic and accelerate - when I hit third gear the bike bucks (power drop outs). At that point I have about 60-90 seconds before it stalls out completely. It will start in neutral but the instant I put it in gear and release the clutch it stalls. 15-20 minutes later it starts and runs okay. Rerouting the evap return tube didn't fix it although it was indeed kinked and the RE recommended tactic of popping the gas cap open didn't work yesterday either. Anyone have an idea of what the problem might be? TIA.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 01:44:15 pm by TAG_Foto »
--

2022 Royal Enfield Meteor - Fireball Red
2020 Royal Enfield Himalayan

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
  Sounds like a fuel pressure issue to me.   Did your dealer check the fuel pressure ?   Possibly a bad pump ...  bad check valve in the pump or a leaky injector...
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.