Author Topic: waterproofing wiring connections  (Read 2128 times)

hatrack

• Scooter
on: January 21, 2020, 09:16:35 pm
on my himalayan there are a few wiring harness clips that have plastic shrouds that don't cover the connections.. water and dirt can fly right into the block holding all the small metal contacts. has anyone addressed this ? It would be hard to wrap it because the space is so tight; caulking or foam might be too permanent. anyone have ideas?

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 10:05:32 pm
How about that liquid electrical tape stuff that is typically sold in hardware stores? You brush it on and it dries to look like electrical tape.  It looks easy enough to remove if needed. 
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 11:23:55 pm
How about that liquid electrical tape stuff that is typically sold in hardware stores? You brush it on and it dries to look like electrical tape.  It looks easy enough to remove if needed.
I used it once. It never dried. Could have been defective or just that brand but I'm not willing to try that again.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 02:58:40 am
I used it once. It never dried. Could have been defective or just that brand but I'm not willing to try that again.

I can recommend without reservation the Performix 4 Oz. Liquid Tape - Electrical at Harbor Freight for $10.99 (or just $8.79 with a 20% Off coupon). According to their website, they also make a spray can version, though I've never used or ever even seen it in my local store.

The 4 Oz. jug comes with a little application brush right in its cap, and is marvelously useful for tidying up and weatherproofing electrical connections or patching up any torn or split black rubbery things. Not only did I waterproof one of my sailboat's key electrics and a new solar panel array with it, I then used it to patch up its rub rails that had been pretty well gouged up by a previous docking-challenged owner. It's pretty rugged stuff once set, and I've found that you can form it up and contour it "just so" using wax paper. Allow it to cure, and then just peel the wax paper away. Lovely useful stuff...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 03:33:41 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 06:59:50 pm
Bilgemaster, you have solar panels on your sailboat? I believe that counts as "off the grid" and I salute you for your greatness! A dream of mine.......but getting too  old to do it the way I want.......and my wife would not be so happy.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 07:48:33 pm
Bilgemaster, you have solar panels on your sailboat? I believe that counts as "off the grid" and I salute you for your greatness! A dream of mine.......but getting too  old to do it the way I want.......and my wife would not be so happy.
9fingers

Well, it's only a flexible 50 Watter that coincidentally bungees very neatly onto my companionway's sliding hatch, but it does the trick well for my modest power needs (no jacuzzi aboard), and the whole shebang--panel, charge controller, cabling and connectors--only cost me about $100. I could double the system up to 100 Watts using the existing controller just by plugging in a second panel, but really see no need presently. As it is, I've actually used the system to get a car in the boat lot that had a tired battery started. For more details on my cheapo slapdash solar solution, you can see this old posting over on the Macgregor Sailors Forum.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 09:23:33 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

stefano_musica

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 12:37:51 pm
If you are super concerned about water getting into connectors, the best option is expensive and time consuming, and that is to go through the entire harness and change each plug to full automotive Deutsche Connectors.
2010 Classic 500 - 45,000km and keeps on thumping
2013 Harley XL1200C