Author Topic: it's painted! (mostly...) and it doesn't run... LOL  (Read 17880 times)

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
Reply #45 on: August 14, 2019, 06:18:27 pm
And if the crescendo of replies saying "you probably need to give your carb the cleaning-out of its life" proves to be correct, flushing any cr*p out of the tank and fitting an in-line fuel filter should prevent the need for a repeat performance.

A.

Crescendo would be very appropriate.  i, however, will be disappointing the audience as i would rather deal with a mostly running bike for the next 6-8 weeks than struggle with completing a carb overhaul.  This is the reenactment season for me.  I've an event this weekend and two events in september.  Then, if just banging away at it hasn't helped, i'll do the carb rebuild.  i also found a locking petcock/fuel tank filter, which will be ideal for eliminating the ignition key.  i'll still need a battery cut-off somewhere, but i can figure that out this winter.  And the tank has been cleaned already.

Thanks!
Rob
1977 RE Bullet 350 that is slowly being converted to resemble a WWII era bike...

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: August 16, 2019, 03:28:35 am
If you can fix a toilet you can rebuild a carb. They are just toilets for fuel. I don't know why everyone fears them so.
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #47 on: August 16, 2019, 04:21:53 am
You haven't seen MY toilet. Be afraid...Be very afraid. It'd gag a buzzard.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 04:55:57 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
Reply #48 on: August 23, 2019, 12:34:25 am
If you can fix a toilet you can rebuild a carb. They are just toilets for fuel. I don't know why everyone fears them so.

because my toilet doesn't have two jets, three screws, a choke pin, and throttle cable, and if the seven things aren't configured just right, won't flush or refill properly!!!  LOL

I cleaned the jets and she now idles.  she still needs a generous turn of throttle to start, but I can deal with that for the next few weeks.

Rob
1977 RE Bullet 350 that is slowly being converted to resemble a WWII era bike...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #49 on: August 24, 2019, 02:41:32 am
A throttle cable on a toilet.  Now, that's an interesting thought.
If you got a turd crossed, you might just grab the throttle and give it a mighty yank and.... BOOM! it would break free.

Of course the splash of the cold water might be more than unpleasant but at least the problem would be solved. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: August 25, 2019, 12:19:02 pm
So she idles now once started/warm? Excellent.

If it needs throttle to start when cold then your choke or richening device isn't working properly. If it still needs throttle to start when hot something is still amiss.
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
Reply #51 on: September 28, 2019, 05:03:07 pm
the carb rebuild kit has been ordered.  haven't watched a video on this project yet, though.  also replacing the kickstart dog and return spring. 

bike ran like a champ at the two reenactment events I got her to.  had to start at wide open throttle, but she started and I didn't care.  tinkering with the idle speed screw got the bike running without having to constantly blip the throttle.

progress report once the deed is done!

Rob