Author Topic: First run.. 2 hours riding.  (Read 8835 times)

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
on: July 10, 2019, 07:16:02 am
I've had this chrome interceptor sitting in the garage for a couple of weeks.  Its been bad weather, a death in the family and a few other things that have kept me away from it.  The sun has come out, my wife is away with her family and the dogs are settled, so its on with some gear and away.  Im still running it in ...snicker... at moderate revs and here are a few comments to anyone interersted.  Seating position is different to the relaxed position of the classic bullet. I've rolled the bars back, taken off the cross over, that was mainly for looks, and adjusted the gear change and brake pedals to suit my dainty boots. My usual route to a regular coffee stop is around one hour at various speeds and surfaces.  By then, the higher and more rear set footpegs were starting to become noticable, as was the lean to the bars.  I'm going to persevere with this for a month or two and see if my old bones adjust to the new riding position.  There are bar risers and footpeg relocators available already to address this, if it becomes an issue.  The handling was good, shockies felt a bit choppy on some roads, but the springs may need to bed in and settle / soften a bit.  For me, the motor is a gem for what it is. There is a slight pulse from the 270 crank and this offers the rider a good heartbeat to feel. It is not silky smooth and boring. The brakes, both front and rear, are more than adequate for sensible riding. The seat, mainly the pattern I think, started to hit home after an hour in the saddle as well. The foam felt very supportive. Once again it may be my ass that needs looking at and not the seat.  After a break and a feed we hit home again and it wasn't as severe on the body as the trip out was. After comparing it to the bullet, I think the bullet was a more relaxed ride in both posture and comfort, however I'd still be travelling home on it as I print this, The two bikes have nothing in common except the name.
Drink now....avoid the Xmas rush.
greetings from Brisbane, Australia

NuttyRusty

• Bulleteer
  • Little Snoring, United Kingdom
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 02:53:34 pm
I've had bigger bikes and faster bikes, but these 650s are fun from the word go.please let us know of any future modifications. Enjoy

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 08:21:18 am
I put on OE front fork gaiters from one supplier, and the leather wrap grips from time machine.  Ordered both direct from India with very good service and prices.  The front gaiters took about 1.5 hrs to pull the front forks out and refit, but I wasn't hurrying.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 12:51:42 am
pics ?

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 04:49:03 am
Here is the finished bike...maybe...

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 04:50:41 am
Sweet!  8)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

jhark37

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 04:16:43 pm
Beagle, where do you live that you have been able to get a chrome tank?

Thanks, John

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 07:15:50 am
Australia.

BRG-BIRD

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 03:44:29 am
What handlebars do you have?

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 11:24:46 pm
They are the stock bars with the centre rail removed and I have rolled the bars back towards the seat a bit. Does make a difference.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 01:32:30 am
Handlebars are always a bit of a hit and miss thing depending a lot on rider height and the presence or absence of a fairing.

As a case in point, with my old XJ900 the stock bars were pretty good for me as a naked bike but when I fitted a full touring fairing the riding position was too far forward and I replaced them with a taller wider set of bars I had sitting around off a GS1100.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 03:43:44 am
I rolled back my handlebars and added the gaiters, plus the tall windscreen as well. Are you able to share any links for the footpeg relocators? Thanks.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 03:04:43 pm
I rolled back my handlebars and added the gaiters, plus the tall windscreen as well. Are you able to share any links for the footpeg relocators? Thanks.

Also curious on this one.  The factory setup just doesn't do it for me. Relocating the pegs would be a priority if we ever do upgrade to an Interceptor.
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 06:41:01 am
So the Aussie version has the "Interceptor" side cover label rather than INT650 .

Good stuff.

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 12:26:58 am
I have been corresponding with Hitchcock UK about the re locators. They are in production ATM. About two weeks out.  There is an Indian brand out there as well that looks a bit too industrial. Google 650 RE peg relocation should find it.   beags.