Author Topic: C5 Relay turn signal  (Read 3499 times)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 09, 2019, 05:09:37 pm
The Haynes manual and my 2010 C5 are out of sync. Haynes shows a fuse/relay box nothing like mine. Where is the turn signal relay? All 4 of my turn signals don't turn on, no blinking.

Cheers,
Bill
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 07:32:46 pm by Guaire »
ACE Motors - sales & administration

tjupille

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 09:23:51 pm
Black cube at the upper right.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 09:47:31 pm
Can anyone suggest a way to make the new relay work? The C5 wiring has a Red and a White wire that connected to the old relay. What goes where on the NAPA AR272? This was the recommended part I found by doing a search.

Bill

tjupille

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 12:53:55 am

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 01:42:57 am
Can anyone suggest a way to make the new relay work? The C5 wiring has a Red and a White wire that connected to the old relay. What goes where on the NAPA AR272? This was the recommended part I found by doing a search.

Bill

Your picture shows a 2-pin Flasher (on the Left) and a Relay (on the Right).

Are you trying to wire up the Relay as your Flasher?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 02:04:59 am
The NAPA AR272 is a relay, not a signal flasher.  The AR272 is the relay that activates the fuel pump circuit, the main power circuit and the sidestand cutout.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 08:54:35 pm
Thanks, Arizoni, tooseevee and tj. I have a flasher on order.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 08:57:17 pm by Guaire »

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 02:58:22 pm
I got a flasher from superbrightleds and connected it.
On the right turn signal socket, the bulb base is ground and the tip is positive. The bulb blinks.
On the left turn signal socket, the bulb base is ground and the tip is ground. The headlight and tail light blink. The turn signals do nothing.

Before the flasher died, the turn signals and headlight worked normally.

The front turn signal connections are brown and black, connect to brown and black.

Switching the leads on the flasher =
Right side stays on. Headlight is on.
Left side, headlight goes off. Turn signals stay off.
In the center position, the turn signal switch on the left handle bar the headlight is on. Turn signals are off.

I put the switch pod back together, put the flasher connections as they were....when I do a turn signal switch, the headlight stays on, the turn signals come on, but they don't blink. At least the bike is useable!

I started the motor. The right side stays on. The left side, the headlight turns off. Oh well.

Cheers,
Bill

« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 05:46:44 pm by Guaire »

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 08:43:42 pm
My blinky lights are blinking! Today a relay arrived from a seller on eBay. The first flasher was rated to start with 1w draw. Today's install is on rated at 0.5w. It's working!!! Now I have 4 superbrightleds for turn signals. They are brighter and they make for some electric headroom to do other things like spark the NGK.
Thanks for getting me going in the right direction, Bulleteers.
Bill

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 01:54:29 pm
My blinky lights are blinking! Today a relay arrived from a seller on eBay. The first flasher was rated to start with 1w draw. Today's install is on rated at 0.5w. It's working!!! Now I have 4 superbrightleds for turn signals. They are brighter and they make for some electric headroom to do other things like spark the NGK.
Thanks for getting me going in the right direction, Bulleteers.
Bill

Others have had similar little aggravating glitches when switching various incandescent bulbs to LEDs. I've just kept all the regular bulbs in my '08 AVL since I spent many months gathering spares in the first years I had the bike. So far (after replacing them ALL which is a whole 'nuther story) I have not had one single bulb blow. But then again, I have very low mileage and never ride at night or in the wet. But I blink them all once in a while just to see that they work  :) :)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.