Author Topic: Run on sentence???  (Read 4580 times)

Beardo

• Bulleteer
on: June 29, 2019, 11:31:26 pm
Why does an entire paragraph show up on my phone as a run on sentence that I have to scroll left to see??

As opposed to it normally coming across as, oh, a paragraph!

So annoying I end up hitting the X and moving on to Advrider.
2000 Bullet 500

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 02:04:31 am
Sorry to hear of your online woes. Tooseevee had what sound like similar gremlins not long ago albeit with his laptop. Not sure how or even if they were eventually resolved.

Assuming we're talking about an Android device, just for a gag, why not swing on over to Google Play and try installing another browser like Opera or Dolphin, and see what that gets you.

So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 02:09:24 pm
So, I tried Bing. No joy. Out of wonderment, I turned off cookies. Ah ha! Restored normalcy! However, in doing so, I was logged off. I logged back on, and back to no joy.

So at least I'm making progress!
2000 Bullet 500

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 02:56:53 pm
Did you "clear" existing cookies or just turn them off (block new ones). In most Android flavors with its native factory browser one can do both under Settings-->Privacy and Security-->Cookies. Other browsers work similarly.

Try this: Log out of Forum, restart device, open browser to any other webpage than this Forum's, do both cookie purgings in browser's Settings, restart device again, open browser and check out Forum formatting without logging in, if all seems well, log in. If all still seems well, reactivate cookies. Restart device and test again. Rinse, lather and repeat until and up to the point the Forum's tolerable (with cookies or without). It could be the server's just feeding or has fed you a rotten cookie or multiple conflicting ones.

Also, how old is your device? You may want to try the above regimen up to and including clearing and disabling cookies and restarting, and then grab a fresh version of Chrome off of Google Play. If prompted during installation, do not import settings, etc. It should create a new
"Chrome" icon instead of the old familiar factory one labeled "Internet". Try using that fresh install.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 05:57:36 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 02:41:10 pm
Sorry to hear of your online woes. Tooseevee had what sound like similar gremlins not long ago albeit with his laptop. Not sure how or even if they were eventually resolved.

I just ran across this thread by accident this morning.

Yes, I had exactly that problem and it was maddening and I figured out a work-around that worked. But shortly after that it just all resolved itself somehow without my doing anything. All of a sudden it was just gone and, so solly, I forgot to mention it.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 02:43:45 pm
So, I tried Bing. No joy. Out of wonderment, I turned off cookies. Ah ha! Restored normalcy! However, in doing so, I was logged off. I logged back on, and back to no joy.

So at least I'm making progress!

That's how my mash up worked also. If I was not logged in, all was normal. As soon as I logged in, the paragraphs went to one long sentence.

It resolved itself after a while as I said below.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

kdxandrew

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 09:05:57 am
I get this when viewing on Chrome browser (laptop) - screenshot attached.  This means having to scroll along way to read the post - sometimes the only way to get to the end is to copy all and paste into a word doc!

Be good if the paragraph was justified to fit screen

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 07:37:59 pm
Bit of a hijack - when replying in a thread, I seemingly randomly get a half-empty page, with just the right side of the screen showing the text fields, buttons, etc...  See attached for sample screen shot...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 08:25:26 pm
Bit of a hijack - when replying in a thread, I seemingly randomly get a half-empty page, with just the right side of the screen showing the text fields, buttons, etc...  See attached for sample screen shot...

I get the same small box at times.  Kind of irritating.  I prefer large boxes, like this one.   ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1