Author Topic: BAD Engine Noise  (Read 3801 times)

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: July 01, 2019, 12:54:49 pm
I took the cover off and all seemed good to me. The chain tensioner was doing its job and there was no sign of any contact between the chain and case parts. There was no metal or any other junk in the case or oil. I put it back together and the noise is still there.

The noise seems to be coming from the top of the engine. Could it be a valve? Is there something in the hydraulic lifter system that could cause problems, but only at medium to high revs? Is this an interference engine? I shudder to think what may be causing a piston to contact a valve when the engine speed increases.

btw, thanks @Dalmation man.
Ego iustus volo meus motorcycle equitare

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: July 01, 2019, 01:19:53 pm
I think if it had dropped a valve you would know.

Is the decompressor OK ?

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #17 on: July 01, 2019, 01:32:45 pm
I took the cover off and all seemed good to me. The chain tensioner was doing its job and there was no sign of any contact between the chain and case parts. There was no metal or any other junk in the case or oil. I put it back together and the noise is still there.

The noise seems to be coming from the top of the engine. Could it be a valve? Is there something in the hydraulic lifter system that could cause problems, but only at medium to high revs? Is this an interference engine? I shudder to think what may be causing a piston to contact a valve when the engine speed increases.

btw, thanks @Dalmation man.

If your e-start is okay and the sound does not relate to the sprag, then a few things come to mind.

- Check the front and rear fuel tank mounting bolts for tightness, especially the front one and its associated sleeve/tube/bushing. No. 15/16 in the image below.
- Check the tightness of your mounting bolts for the crash/leg guard and the horn.

When you rev the bike, push the front of the tank downwards / try to keep the weight down and see if it makes any difference to the sound.

Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: July 01, 2019, 07:53:37 pm
If your e-start is okay and the sound does not relate to the sprag, then a few things come to mind.

- Check the front and rear fuel tank mounting bolts for tightness, especially the front one and its associated sleeve/tube/bushing. No. 15/16 in the image below.

We have a winner! It was the rear fuel tank mounting bolt.

Many thanks to all. This is what I love about the internet.
Ego iustus volo meus motorcycle equitare

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #19 on: July 01, 2019, 09:00:06 pm
That's superb to hear. An easy fix is a good fix.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Dalmatian man

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: July 01, 2019, 09:20:15 pm
Pleased you got it sorted, one loose bolt made a hell of a noise.
33cc cyclemaster
James Cadet
James Comodore
Honda C50
Suzuki Gn250
BMW 650
Honda Hornet 600
BMW R1100RS
Royal Enfield C5 2014
BMW G310R