Author Topic: Good Indian Parts Suppliers Online  (Read 136 times)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
on: June 26, 2019, 11:44:57 pm
I recently popped a throttle cable on my 2005 Bullet. The good folks and our Forum hosts in Fort Worth were able to quickly square me away for now with a whole set of high quality replacement cables. But as other recent Forum discussions have illustrated, they and other local dealerships may be a well that is very soon likely to dry up for parts for older Bullets such as the Iron Cylinder and AVL models. There have even been some recent grumbles heard about the scarcity of parts for some later UCE models.

Since RENA has yet to show any signs of moving effectively to fill that parts gap for legacy models once so deftly managed by Classic Motorworks, many North American owners are beginning to turn of necessity to Hitchcocks in England for their needs, with resultingly far higher shipping costs--often enough higher than the actual cost of some minor  needful doodad in question. Don't get me wrong. Hitchcocks is a fine company with excellent wares, but $5 shipping for, say, a $2 Ammeter bulb or something similarly rinkydink means only large orders can be at all cost effective. For needed one offs, not so much.

Which brings us to India, and those hosts of Indian suppliers on eBay, most offering free delivery. Since it was a Sunday when my throttle cable snapped, and the folks in Ft. Worth were closed, just for a gag I ordered an OEM Royal Enfield one for the princely sum of $8.54 delivered from a vendor named "dstraders1994-1". It took merely 9 days to arrive at my door and indeed appears to be an original bagged OEM cable (for what that's worth). So that ain't so bad, right? Turns out his eBay store has lots of bargain gear for older models, and not just for the 350s so popular yonder. Here's a full set of new clutch friction plates for a 5-speed box (Part No. 597402, with other sets also available) for just $33.24 at your door. And AVL owners might find this 500cc Twin Spark AVL Engine Overhaul Gasket Set (Part No. 597070) for just $12.96 something they might like to toss into their parts stash for "someday". They're probably not getting any easier to find.

Sure, this "dstraders1994-1" vendor is just one of many Indian online peddlers, but he did right by me, delivering exactly what was promised in record time. Sure, maybe that way quicker than average delivery from yonder was some one off fluke, but his shop's probably still worth a quick looksee, is all I'm saying.

I've also been perfectly satisfied with the few orders for this and that I've placed with the probably much larger Indian vendor "Enfield County". The shipping times were  quite a bit longer, but if you're looking for outlandish brass doodads like this sword ignition key with scabbard, Enfield County's your one stop shop.

Since it's looking more and more like we oldsters might be getting shoved out onto those ice floes by RENA, if you've had good or bad dealings with any particular Indian vendors, here might be a good place to chime in about it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 12:08:57 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 09:01:55 am
I would say that you need to be wary of the descriptions and do your research on the item if it's more than some low value part. Suppliers in India can and do get this wrong and the customer sometimes ends up with something they can't use.

Example 1

500cc Twin Spark AVL Engine Overhaul Gasket Set

There is no such thing as a twin-spark 500 AVL (unless you modify the cylinder head yourself), the item you linked to is for an odd mix of UCE and AVL 500 gaskets.

Example 2

Forks

There has been more than one instance of forks being sold for a certain model that have the wrong tops, i.e. later plain stanchion top forks being advertised to fit older models where the fork stanchions are supposed to screw into the casquette or top yoke. There are a couple of sets of UCE Electra forks on sale on ebay UK at the moment where the people who had originally bought them from India thought they were getting a set for an Electra-X.

As a side issue I was able to benefit from a similar situation where I bought a new set of leading axle B5 UCE forks for Not a Fury or ASBO14 for 100 GBP, the guy selling them thought he'd ordered a set of old-style forks for his iron barrel 350. Not A Fury has a real Fury top yoke that takes plain-top stanchions, so that suited me just fine!

Moral of the story? The parts book is your friend, so you can check part numbers.

Don't forget that with generic stuff like throttle cables, bearings, chain, reg/rectifiers, bulbs, headlamp reflector units, etc, any classic motorcycle shop dealing with old Brit bikes should be able to help. If you know your bearing numbers, you can also get them probably even more cheaply from your local bearing store.

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 10:33:33 am
Granted the gasket set example was poor. I defer to your expertise. I only brought it up because it was (allegedly) for the AVLs, and I gather parts are getting particularly harder to find for them in view of their very short run.

I'm still pretty confident some of his other gear may satisfy those with "oldsters" though. But yeah: a Spare Parts Catalog and those part numbers are your friends, there or anywhere else, including on the phone with Ft. Worth.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 01:06:30 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 05:03:55 am
I do order stuff from India myself. Some of the sellers are a nightmare, some are just fine. Enfield county should be OK.

US purchasers can also try looking on ebay.co.uk - as well as many of the same Indian suppliers who show up on ebay.com, we have the likes of these guys who have the odd useful RE(india) part and ship internationally.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/Bearmore-Ltd?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/techno-mart-uk-usa/m.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=enfield&rt=nc&_dmd=2

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead