Author Topic: Add-On Foot For Kickstand  (Read 4480 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: June 19, 2019, 04:31:56 pm
    Is anyone aware of any kind of add-on to the OEM AVL kickstand that would make it more like a foot and less like a spear that immediately drives itself into the dirt? You can't leave the bike on anything soft including hot asphalt without putting something under the spear-shaped kickstand. I may have to go have the end modified; can't lift the bike every time any more. It hurts like holy hell and takes ALL the strength I have left. And if I leave it on the kickstand I have to electric start it because I have Never been able to kickstart it on the kickstand. The simplest way, I suppose, would be to carry a hip pocket-sized steel disk like I did with the harleys.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 04:35:30 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 05:08:38 pm
You live in Rhode Island...Got an old hockey puck or similar laying around that you could JB Weld onto the foot of that sidestand? It, or something similar, would present a broader surface to the ground, and should also raise the angle of the bike to near perpendicular, which might help with the cold starting.

Given the health circumstances, you might also get a pass on using that "electric leg" from here on in. I hardly ever used mine, but I am also quite sure that the previous owner of my Iron Belly hardly ever, if ever, kickstarted the thing throughout its initial roughly 4,500 miles. Its sprag gave out at about 7,000, if I recall correctly. So, I'd say if you're running the standard 420 ml (in an AVL?) of fluid in your primary, up to the fill level hole, go ahead and dump in another 400 ml or so to better bathe that sprag, and if it comes down to enjoying a nice ride or not, go ahead and fire her up with the button.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 06:07:36 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 06:02:19 pm
You live in Rhode Island...Got an old hockey puck or similar laying around that you could JB Weld onto the foot of that sidestand? It, or something similar, would present a broader surface to the ground, and should also raise the angle of the bike to near perpendicular, which might help with the cold starting.

There is no foot to JB Weld something flat to. It comes to a flat point. I think the last sentence in my original post is probably the best answer.

Hockey pucks  ??? ??? I've never even watched a hockey game on TV let alone been to a match  :) :) :) :) plus I don't think there's any hockey in RI  :)

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 08:12:56 pm
I bought a 2 pc clamp on "foot" from ebay but it wouldn't fit on my GT without lot of grinding, and then it came off the second time I used it!   I carry a "freebie" Geico foot pad on a string in my pocket.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 09:54:24 pm
Well, in keeping with the whole sporting motif and also "Eldster Chic" thing, how about the iconic and grippy tennis ball, as seen on most walkers and many canes? Just drill a hole in it to suit the sidestand's foot, get one of those 2-part epoxy syringe things, inject ball hole to nearly full, swish around the contents a bit with a chopstick or something, affix with tape to sidestand positioned to desired length, allow to cure overnight, remove tape, and then go for a ride, flying that Geezer Orb Flag proudly for all to see! When those youngsters hear that dreaded Enfield rumble and spot that day-glo green tennis ball, they'll know they should get off that damned lawn NOW!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 10:07:25 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 12:19:56 am
Well, in keeping with the whole sporting motif and also "Eldster Chic" thing, how about the iconic and grippy tennis ball, as seen on most walkers and many canes? Just drill a hole in it to suit the sidestand's foot, get one of those 2-part epoxy syringe things, inject ball hole to nearly full, swish around the contents a bit with a chopstick or something, affix with tape to sidestand positioned to desired length, allow to cure overnight, remove tape, and then go for a ride, flying that Geezer Orb Flag proudly for all to see! When those youngsters hear that dreaded Enfield rumble and spot that day-glo green tennis ball, they'll know they should get off that damned lawn NOW!

Why am I L-ing My F-ing A Off at this  ;D ;D Lord help me.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 02:15:13 am
      Why am I L-ing My F-ing A Off at this  ;D ;D Lord help me.

Did you inhale the air inside the tennis ball? The only cure is Cool Ranch Doritos.

chuychacon

• Bulleteer
  • TEAM BANZAI 88
Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 02:19:07 pm
I welded a pad on sidestand, stock one was great at making a hole !!
Moto Guzzi Lemans 1980
Kawasaki 750 Twin Cafe 1982
Honda XL 350 older brothers age 18-20
Honda Dream 50cc hand me down age10-14

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 02:37:56 pm

There! Now That's how it oughta be  :)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 02:44:07 pm
Did you inhale the air inside the tennis ball?

No, but what I had a picture of in my head was me parking in the lot of my primary care guy with my Day-Glo tennis ball kickstand AND my walker, with its own tennis balls, strapped to my "luggage" rack and going in for my yearly "wellness" exam where he usually greets me with "Ohmygod, you're still alive"?

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 03:44:35 pm

Well sure, you could  do it the right way. But what fun is that when you could lash on a bent tennis racket or hot glue your kid's old Barbie in a compromising position on there?