Author Topic: Project "Laubfrosch" - the trials hybrid  (Read 908 times)

grumbern

• Grease Monkey
Reply #45 on: July 08, 2019, 12:09:36 pm
It's a "Rotenbach" AC/DC 200 P, 5-in-1. Basicly the standard TIG welder you get in different styles and brand names. What made me buy it instead of a different one was the posibility to use an air-powered plasma torch.

grumbern

• Grease Monkey
Reply #46 on: July 12, 2019, 07:47:15 am
Engine plates type "Special" :)

grumbern

• Grease Monkey
Reply #47 on: July 14, 2019, 05:05:51 am
Now, second layer of paint applied:

That's how they look on the bike. It's still missing the bolt to the gearbox and the one through the frame is too thin - didn't have anything fitting at hand right now. But you get the picture:

The bottom view shows the purpose of the latches. They give some more rigidity, but mostly a good posibility to mount the side stand and skid plate to:

I also melted some aluminium... Not exactly beautiful, but it's doing the job and to my defence I have to say, that a) welding a 20mm deep hole is darn hard and b) cast alloy, espacially these old ones are ugly to weld, bubble alot and contain a lot of junk.

Today nothing else will happen here, but next week I can start the machining.
So long,
Andreas
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 05:08:20 am by grumbern »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #48 on: July 14, 2019, 08:43:36 am
I also melted some aluminium... Not exactly beautiful, but it's doing the job and to my defence I have to say, that a) welding a 20mm deep hole is darn hard and b) cast alloy, espacially these old ones are ugly to weld, bubble alot and contain a lot of junk.

Once that is all cleaned up and re-machined it will look a lot better. Were the holes too damaged for helicoil inserts?

On the Bullet rear engine plates there are hexagonal holes to lock the hexagonal footrest bar in position, as well as a spacer tube between the plates, do you have some other arrangement in mind?

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

grumbern

• Grease Monkey
Reply #49 on: July 14, 2019, 01:48:57 pm
Yes, the threads were done for and I don't have any 5/16-BSF inserts nor tools for that. I didn't want to use M8, so this was the way to go.
The distance tube will be made from Aluminium and instead of the hex rod I'll simply use a round and shorter one. The footrests will be set backwards below the swinging arm axle, so there's no need for an unnecessarily complicated mounting plate with hexagonal cut outs.