Author Topic: Bullet 500 Help Needed  (Read 3250 times)

Dennisgb

• Scooter
on: May 20, 2019, 11:34:58 pm
I finally got back to replacing the crankcase gasket on my 500 Bullet.

When I tighten the timing cover screws there is more tension on the crank when I try to rotate it. It turns but when I loosen the screws it turns freely. I replaced the worm gear with a bonded rubber cork seal. Would this cause tension on the crankshaft?

engine by dennisgb, on Flickr
Brakes are Good, Tires are Bare

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 11:52:44 pm
Maybe check the depth of engagement of the worm gear and paddle on the oil pump drive.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 12:32:42 pm
If the crank spun freely with the crankcases fully bolted up and only got harder to turn with the timing side fully assembled the problem is unlikely to be the crank.

Is that a green timing cover gasket I see?

A lot of these seem to have been made of thinner material than OEM, I had the same problem with a 5 speed gearbox cover gasket and of the same material causing the kickstart to bind.

On the timing cover front, if your oil pump worm nut to oil pump spindle tolerances were fine before (and the bonded rubber worm nut usually has MORE clearance, not less) the thinner timing cover gasket has stolen the clearance between the cam gear or shims and the cam spindle housing face in the timing cover, making the engine harder to turn over. Try fewer or thinner shims on the cams.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 01:06:58 pm
Is that a green timing cover gasket I see?

A lot of these seem to have been made of thinner material than OEM, I had the same problem with a 5 speed gearbox cover gasket and of the same material causing the kickstart to bind.

A.

I got a lot of those green ones in the spare gasket kits I ordered from India. The only ones I've used were Valve Cover and Primary Case; no leaks, but those have little effect on tolerances.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 02:17:13 pm
Depending on the distance to tight, using 2 of the thin timing cover gaskets may be an option.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 04:52:50 pm
The video below shows a similar problem, it turned out to be the shims on the timing gears were too thick.  As mentioned above, too thin gasket may also be problematic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2019jn99Ao

Dennisgb

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 09:04:19 pm
Thanks so much for the great responses.

This is what I suspected.

Pretty crappy that a gasket thickness can control a critical tolerance. Adding an additional gasket is a concern because the potential of too much slop.

I didn't realize there were different sizes of shim washers. I just used the ones that were in there since the engine was stock.

I will do some measurements and see what's up. I think I can use a dial indicator to figure out the interference.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 03:33:24 am
Thanks so much for the great responses.

This is what I suspected.

Pretty crappy that a gasket thickness can control a critical tolerance. Adding an additional gasket is a concern because the potential of too much slop.

I didn't realize there were different sizes of shim washers. I just used the ones that were in there since the engine was stock.

I will do some measurements and see what's up. I think I can use a dial indicator to figure out the interference.
When the bikes were made, there were different thicknesses of gaskets, and the engine builder selected what was needed from his parts stock.
After they were no longer being made, aftermarket gasket kits were just made the right general shape, and no real concern about thickness of the timing cover gasket.
When I was coaching people doing Fireball builds, I would always try to get them to carefully remove the timing cover, so as to hopefully not destroy the gasket. The black rubber ones were almost impossible to find.

It is important to remember that this is a design from around the 1930s, and engines were built by "fitters" that hand assembled the parts according to fit of the various parts that were not very precisely manufactured. In India, they just continued to build them in the old ways.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 03:37:41 am by ace.cafe »

Dennisgb

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 06:01:35 pm
It is important to remember that this is a design from around the 1930s, and engines were built by "fitters" that hand assembled the parts according to fit of the various parts that were not very precisely manufactured. In India, they just continued to build them in the old ways.

Yes, I probably should have said "pretty funny". I've been working on British bikes for years and understand many of the quirks of these older machines. Each has there own, but these Royal Enfield's are new to me. This Forum has been very helpful in figuring things out. They are pretty basic and simple.

You can see my Norton in the background of the picture above BTW.  ;D

Dennisgb

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 06:50:34 pm
the interference is the cam gears. there is only a few thou to work with. they have .005 shims front and back. thinking about just leaving the back shims out. will that cause any issues

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 09:22:34 pm
Should be ok.

Dennisgb

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 11:51:05 pm
Should be ok.

thanks. thought it better to let the cams ride on the shaft boss rather than the aluminum on the cover.