Author Topic: 9fingers and Guinevere had a BIG WEEK!  (Read 1970 times)

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
on: May 18, 2019, 12:30:11 am
First off I finally got my trailer purchase sorted, as you need a notarized Bill of Sale in NJ to register a used trailer.......who knew? Then I bought a class III hitch and mounted it to my Dodge Journey, really a lot easier with 2 people (but I didn't have 2 people) but just a royal pain in the arse to get the damn thing mounted......had to drop both mufflers...but it is done. Then the wiring kit for the lights.....another PIA as Amazon had incorrect info as to what worked on my car. So, 2 kits later we got it right. Running a wire from the hitch electrics to the battery was not a lot of fun either.
But THEN the fun began as I could go down to GHG's and pick up my bike! But first we went for a fantastic ride through some state parks and some cool roads that GHG knew about and we had a great lunch at the Tavern, in Scotch Plains, NJ.

On to the important stuff: What GHS did for my bike.
Made me some custom cams and adjustable chromemoly pushrods.
Disconnected the stock airbox and ran a very free breathing Uni filter sock, a $16 purchase that appears to work wonders..........but I am jumping ahead.
Installed and tuned a Power Commander V and AT200 auto tuner..........and set it all up on a program for me.
Installed a 19t front sprocket.

The net result? A very slight drop in low end torque and a big increase in midrange and top end HP. I used to short shift all the gears since there was no reason to rev it as it had emphysema and the power fell off at higher revs. Now it just goes and goes and never wants to stop! Substantially faster!
Tomorrow I take it on a 190 mile trip up into the Catskills in NY State and then over to PA on the way down. And it includes about 20 miles of highway riding so the 19t front should help a lot with engine revs. Incidentally, the new found power makes pulling the 19t effortless. I will report back on top speed if I get the opportunity. But on my ride with GHG, I had it up to 70 mph in no time. Some pics attached.

Almost forgot, my bike came out as a female and I named her Guinevere, probably after the Crosby Stills and Nash song......or maybe from King Arthur. Either way, the name fits her. Special thanks to GHG for doing a super job and being a great guy!
9fingers
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 02:53:57 am by 9fingers »
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 03:33:47 pm
  Your welcome !!    Glad you like it.  ;)  Have fun with that bike and on THAT ride  and i'll see you over the next couple of weeks for another one.   BTW, you have the STOCK rockers in that bike , but  adjustable chromemoly Push rods ...   
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 10:00:18 pm

Almost forgot, my bike came out as a female and I named her Guinevere, probably after the Crosby Stills and Nash song......or maybe from King Arthur.
9fingers

Still have my original '69 vinyl. Incredible song/album. And they just got better from there.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 11:40:16 pm
OK, I knew I was fuzzy on the "custom rockers"...........an age thing. Even cooler, I have custom "adjustable chromemoly pushrods"!
And about that 190 mile ride........I was wrong about that too.......we did 272 miles today! I hit 80mph pretty easily, sitting upright.......just as the state trooper passed me. I was going to claim innocence since my bike could not possibly go 80..........But he just cruised on by. BTW, the 80 MPH indicated agreed with my buddies BMW RT1200 speedo reading, for what it is worth.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 01:27:57 am
OK, I knew I was fuzzy on the "custom rockers"...........an age thing. Even cooler, I have custom "adjustable chromemoly pushrods"!
And about that 190 mile ride........I was wrong about that too.......we did 272 miles today! I hit 80mph pretty easily, sitting upright.......just as the state trooper passed me. I was going to claim innocence since my bike could not possibly go 80..........But he just cruised on by. BTW, the 80 MPH indicated agreed with my buddies BMW RT1200 speedo reading, for what it is worth.
9fingers

BMW speedometers typically read 8-10% fast. That makes the rider think they are going faster than they really are.  It also helps keep BMW riders from getting too many speeding tickets, which keeps more money in their wallet so that they can buy the latest BMW motorcycle and BMW-brand expensive farkles.  ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 02:54:25 pm
Glad you're enjoying your upgrades, 9fingers!  That's sort of my old stomping grounds, GHG and I had a nice ride around that area a few years ago.  We may even have gone to the same restaurant for dinner, but I'm a little fuzzy on that particular detail.

A memorable moment: we parked up in the crowded parking lot (of whatever restaurant we were at), and a few people approached to admire and ask about his green C5 celtic missile.  Without a moment's hesitation, he pointed them toward me and said that I had done a lot of custom work on the bike, then stepped away and left me to chat with them!  Fortunately I had a handle on what he had done with the bike by that time, and they weren't really all that interested in the gory details anyway, so it sorted itself out without any embarrassment for anyone.  But it was quite funny...

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 05:22:51 pm
  Hahahaha !    That was at the Blackthorn Matt.  ;D ;)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 09:32:20 pm
          Still have my original '69 vinyl. Incredible song/album. And they just got better from there.

So do I! I actually have over 1,000, mint condition, vinyl records.......and an awesome turntable to play them on. And it is a great song.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350