Author Topic: Future of RE 500  (Read 4600 times)

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
on: November 21, 2019, 08:21:50 am
I'm sad to share that various sources are reporting that the 500 singles will not be updated to meet the upcoming BS6 emissions standards and will instead be dropped from production

https://www.businesstoday.in/sectors/auto/royal-enfield-may-stop-selling-500cc-bullet-classic-thunderbird-from-next-year/story/390688.html

Looking at the year on year September sales figures that can be found here:
https://gaadiwaadi.com/royal-enfield-sep-2019-sales-analysis-classic-350-thunderbird-bullet-himalyan/
it's easy to see how any bean counter would decide to NOT continue the 500s.

These figures are comparing the carbureted 350s to 500s equipped with EFI systems.  Seems to me that once they upgrade the 350s with EFI to meet BS6, the cost of the bikes will be essentially equivalent to the 500s.  The design might have to change substantially if they go from pushrod to overhead cam.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 04:24:20 pm
The number of 500 sales referenced in the article would thrill any other company selling in the US. It cracked me up because of what is considered low sales by a company that is selling almost a million bikes. I completely get it though.

I am not sure that it does or doesn't apply to export sales. The upgrades are already on most export bikes. India is far more price-conscious.

I thought that the introduction of the Himalayan and Twin might be the end of the 500 here, but there were plenty of people in the know (dealers) who disagreed. Until fairly recently the 500 was sold in the export markets but not for India meaning it was a very low volume product. At that time they were struggling and needed every bike sale that they could get. Then a happy accident launched them to the company we see now.

It will sad but understandable loss
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 03:55:17 pm
Hey, look on the bright side: The clock on the "Collectibility" of any  Bullet, whether Iron Cylinder, AVL or UCE, has just started ticking. When they ain't selling no more of them, the used market tends to get a modest supply side bump. So, if you've already got a Bullet in some export land where they're twisting that spigot, this is probably good news.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

jez

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 10:08:49 pm
Perhaps they can rework the Himalayan Engine with a smaller piston and possibly a kickstart, or maybe that engine is too old school to build economically and can't be made 6 compliant. As it is it produces more peak horsepower than the 535.......

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 10:38:42 pm
At this point it doesn't appear that there is a lot of change planned in the short term for the Himalayan as it goes BS 6 compliant:  https://gaadiwaadi.com/exclusive-bs6-royal-enfield-himalayan-to-get-these-2-new-features/

RE claims 24.5 bhp for the Himalayan.  How do you figure it produces more than the 29.1 bhp they claim the 535 made?  Or did you mean it produces more power per displacement cc?